Is it the CPU or Motherboard?

ImTheRush

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Alright so today I got all my parts together and built my first pc. When I go to start it, it turns on for like 5 seconds then automatically shuts down. After that like 5 more seconds go by and it automatically turns on. No beeps no video no post no nothing. The red led light by the cpu is on(i read the manual that means theres something wrong with the cpu). I'm wondering if the CPU itself is damaged or the CPU socket on the mother board is damaged?

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67
Processor: Intel i5 2500k
Video Card: EVGA GTX 560ti
RAM: G.Skill 8GB (4Gx2) DDR3 1600mhz

jonyou

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011

Check make sure you plug your pin into the motherboard by the cpu for power. Make sure you inserted your ram in all the way and the right way. Do you have bent pins? Is your ram 1.5v?If none of the following is wrong you can troubleshoot by going basics by going onboard graphics and 1 boot drive with 1 stick of ram to see if any of ur things are wrong.

This is a common problem with the Sandy Bridge boards. My ASUS P8P67 does the same thing. But after all the installing was done, and everything was set, mine just suddenly stopped doing it. (unless I change something or a BIOS setting, then it will do it again for a few boot-ups) Hopefully this will be fixed with a BIOS update soon, there may already be a fix, but I haven't checked lately since my board doesn't seem to do on a normal basis.

ImTheRush

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

As of now I will RMA the board, if it continues then I will RMA the processor. If if continues I will RMA the RAM and if it continues after that I will blow up my computer :D

ImTheRush

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

Everything is plugged in I have checked a gazillion times. From what I see there are not bent pins on the mobo socket and i dont think the i5 2500k has pins I cant see any lol