Sign in with
Your question

Video card Sapphire 5870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2011 6:32:26 AM

AHHHHHH I bought the SAPPHIRE 100290SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Eyefinity 6 Edition Video Card. Ran fine booted up and everything then 5 min into play starcraft BLACKNESS followed buy horrible omg fan noise. took for ever to get it to reboot and my computers surge warning came up -.- I am running a 850 watt power supply which is way more than i need i upgraded to that just for the card. Once i got it back tried reinstalling drivers ran fine for 10 min the BLACK again ugh........changed voltages added/ took away fans. Tried again......BLACKNESS this time i open the case right up and OUCH HOT the card was on fire after about 5 min........Help what do i do? I returned the card for a new one but i am afraid to have the same dang problem.
a c 128 U Graphics card
March 18, 2011 11:40:17 AM

How many amps are on your 12V rail on that power supply (should be on a sticker on the power supply itself)? Some cheap power supplies have screwed up power distribution.

Even at that, the fan wouldn't make a strange noise if the card were good.

Put the new one in and it shouldn't give you a problem. If it does, I would try some other brand because the place you bought from must have gotten a bad batch.
Related resources
!