Sign in with
Your question
Closed

More RAM Useage After Upgrade

Last response: in Memory
May 11, 2012 1:13:04 AM

Hello,

I recently upgraded the RAM on my netbook (Acer Aspire One D257 running Win 7 Starter) from 1GB DDR3 to 2GB DDR3. Before the upgrade it used ~800MB and now it uses ~1GB. I didn't change any other settings after the upgrade. I have thoroughly checked the Task Manager. Is there a way to determine what Processes or Services are causing more RAM to be consumed? I have also loaded the minimum startup items in the System Configuration. Tired of useless processes/services consuming my memory. Thanks!

More about : ram useage upgrade

May 11, 2012 8:44:57 AM

Do you know the exact RAM that you switched from, and to? Did you get a lower speed ram than before?
Score

Best solution

a c 89 } Memory
May 11, 2012 9:41:44 AM

i shoot an email to netbook vendor. there no guilds for your netbook but i bet when you add the extra ram some of it may have gone to the onboard intel video chipset. the bios or chipset may have reserved that ram for video playback.
Related resources
May 11, 2012 11:24:34 AM

More memory available means more is being used to cache more stuff. Win7 has a great memory manager and will release it when it's needed. Nothing abnormal going on at all.

Example, going from 4gb to 8gb resulted in more memory being used for me as well.
Score
May 12, 2012 2:39:17 AM

Best answer selected by morgan63b.
Score
May 12, 2012 3:03:54 AM

smorizio said:
i shoot an email to netbook vendor. there no guilds for your netbook but i bet when you add the extra ram some of it may have gone to the onboard intel video chipset. the bios or chipset may have reserved that ram for video playback.

Thanks! This sounds like good reasoning. So should I notice any changes in my video or quality or speed?
Score
a c 146 } Memory
May 12, 2012 8:52:01 AM

RAM is not for speed, but it will run smoother, without hick ups.
Score
a c 146 } Memory
May 13, 2012 12:20:29 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!