Sign in with
Your question

PC Games run very slow with XFX 5670

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 18, 2011 9:38:56 AM

Hi All, I recently changed my Graphics Card from XFX-GT-7300 to XFX-5670 . I chose it because it doesn't need extra power connector from PSU, so my older PSU could run it.

But the problem I am facing now is that all the Games which I tried to run with 5670 are very slow even on lowest/medium settings. I tried following games with it NFS Undercover, NFS Carbon, NFS Shift, NFS Hot pursuit (latest), NFS World. My PC specs are following :-

Intel C2D E6420
6GB Transcend DDR2-800 RAM ( 3x2gb)
Asus P5B (965 Chipset) Motherboard
WD 500Gb HDD
Extra 1Gbps LAN Card in PCI Slot
Creative Xfi Extreme Music PCI Card
PSU Mora M-450E ( maybe its 400W psu but not sure )
OS-Win7 64 Bit

I fresh installed Win7 64 after connecting 5670 so old drivers cannot be a problem. I ran memory diagnostic Utility in Win7 & its result show my memory as ok so I think memory issue can be ruled out.

It seems that the problem is PSU but not sure, just want keep the option of upgrading my PSU as a last option. So want to ask experts if there can be an issue apart from PSU.
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2011 10:26:08 AM

What monitor resolution do you run at?

The 5670 isn't really a potent gaming card, coupled with an old dual core and your entire rig isn't all that powerful which i think is the overall issue.

Some tips, take a stick of RAM out of your system so it runs in dual channel mode, this will actually have performance benefits despite reducing your RAM to 4GB. You will need to make sure the sticks that stay in are on the correctly coloured slots that denote dual channel.

Get a new PSU, you can get very solid 450W ones from vendors like Corsair, Antec, Silverstone and Seasonic for very good prices.

Invest in an after market cooler and look into over clocking your CPU to minimise any chance of a bottleneck from that end of your machine.
m
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
March 18, 2011 10:29:09 AM

Please don't shoot the messenger, but I don't think that video card is going to provide much gaming performance even though racing games generally don't have massive system requirements. It's a good card for an HTPC.

You probably don't have a problem with your PSU at all.

If you're looking to get some noticeable performance increase, you'll need to look at upgrading your motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc... and then get at least a Radeon 5770.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2011 10:31:56 AM

I agree with ubercake, it's no one component in your system, it's the system as a whole.
m
l
March 18, 2011 11:56:03 AM

Griffolion said:
What monitor resolution do you run at?

The 5670 isn't really a potent gaming card, coupled with an old dual core and your entire rig isn't all that powerful which i think is the overall issue.

Some tips, take a stick of RAM out of your system so it runs in dual channel mode, this will actually have performance benefits despite reducing your RAM to 4GB. You will need to make sure the sticks that stay in are on the correctly coloured slots that denote dual channel.

Get a new PSU, you can get very solid 450W ones from vendors like Corsair, Antec, Silverstone and Seasonic for very good prices.

Invest in an after market cooler and look into over clocking your CPU to minimise any chance of a bottleneck from that end of your machine.

Thanks for your insight buddy, I have an old monitor Lg-e700 Max resolution supported 1280*1024. So i am trying to run games in that resolution mode. Considering this resolution, my HTPC although old should be able to run those kinda games flawlessly.
m
l
March 18, 2011 11:58:20 AM

ubercake said:
Please don't shoot the messenger, but I don't think that video card is going to provide much gaming performance even though racing games generally don't have massive system requirements. It's a good card for an HTPC.

You probably don't have a problem with your PSU at all.

If you're looking to get some noticeable performance increase, you'll need to look at upgrading your motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc... and then get at least a Radeon 5770.

Thanks for your insight buddy, I have an old monitor Lg-e700 Max resolution supported 1280*1024. So i am trying to run games in that resolution mode. Considering this resolution, my HTPC although old, should be able to run those kinda games flawlessly. atleast at resolution 1280*1024.
m
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
March 18, 2011 12:14:19 PM

arvinderosahan said:
Thanks for your insight buddy, I have an old monitor Lg-e700 Max resolution supported 1280*1024. So i am trying to run games in that resolution mode. Considering this resolution, my HTPC although old, should be able to run those kinda games flawlessly. atleast at resolution 1280*1024.

Sounds like you got it pretty well figured out then.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2011 12:24:06 PM

1024 may be a little above the pay grade of the 5670 however, i'd say the 5670 would be better suited to 720p or something like that.
m
l
March 18, 2011 1:12:56 PM

ubercake said:
Sounds like you got it pretty well figured out then.

So whats your advise then :

1. Is my old system bottleneck ?
2. Is it the PSU ?
3. Is it the problem with my graphics ?
4. Any other issue.
m
l
March 18, 2011 1:20:46 PM

Griffolion said:
1024 may be a little above the pay grade of the 5670 however, i'd say the 5670 would be better suited to 720p or something like that.

Ok I will try that setting 720p, I did try NFS World with 1024x768 and I had the same issue. But I will try in more games and will get back to you with results. In the mean time if you can advise something else to try, will be waiting for that.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2011 1:23:36 PM

There's not much to advise other than getting a better system!
m
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
March 18, 2011 1:29:52 PM

arvinderosahan said:
So whats your advise then :

1. Is my old system bottleneck ?
2. Is it the PSU ?
3. Is it the problem with my graphics ?
4. Any other issue.

1. Is my old system bottleneck ? Yes.
2. Is it the PSU ? Not a problem for your current system. But if you upgrade your system, it most likely will be.
3. Is it the problem with my graphics ? That is a good card for an HTPC, but not so much for gaming at any resolution.
4. Any other issue. If your expectations of gaming performance are higher, you'll need to look at upgrading your motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc... and then get at least a Radeon 5770.
m
l
March 13, 2012 9:18:59 AM

it was the same problem with my pc couldnt run undercover smoothly it ran the same way no mattrer what settings i ran it at.but nfs hp,nfs shift,world ran smoothly at high settings for me.may be ur psu is the prob cause i ran allthose games with a c2d e7500.are u sure its a 400 watt psu?if it is lesser try to get a new one 'cause these days 450watts is the minimum psu for all the gfx cards..the card really is good value for money it still can run many games at high settings at playable fps...good luck.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 10:58:36 AM

Guys.. HD5670 is on par with GT 545 which is better than GT 240. He should be able to play those games he describes (2-6 year old games!) on high settings on that resolution. I played them on higher resolution on high settings on my old rig, which had 8600 GT in it. I don't think it's computer problem!

@OP: Did uninstall your old drivers before putting in the new graphics card in and did you install the newest drivers for your new card?

EDIT: found this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNb5Y9u1czo definitely driver problem!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 11:08:48 AM

Run your ram in dual channel and see if that helps (remove one of the sticks and have the 2 remaining sticks in the same colour slots)
m
l
!