Need help controlling 2 powerful fans

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I purchased 2 120mm fans with 250+ CFM to keep my PC cooled. I have it on a shelf of its own on the wall near a window. I have 1 fan in the bottom of the front of the case as intake, and the other as exhaust at the top of the case. I then have a 2100 rpm 120mm for the side of my case, the back of my case, and another at the top.
I purchased a NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller, but it doesn't let me control the fan speed of the 2 powerful fans. I can either plug em in and have 100%, which is too loud to use a mic or even a phone for that matter, or I can have it at the max speed the controller will let it go, which is as slow as the other fans.

My friend mentioned the controller needs to provide enough voltage for these fans, and he had a way of making one for my these fans. Problem was he can't always keep his word, he believes he can do more/better than he actually can, and falls short far too often.

Any ideas as to what I can do or buy so I can control my fans, or is there nothing that I can do?

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Im a total newb and figured these monster fans would keep my components as cool as possible. All I know is that I was told the colder stuff is the more I can overclock it and I think increase the life span of parts. I just went off that and purchased the two fans.
I found some links on fan placement and have it setup like the diagram. Top fans push air out, top rear pushes out, bottom fronts pull air in and side pulls more in.

What would you recommend I do? It's starting to sounds like I'm doing way more than I should be. Mind you I do have a corsair H60 hydro cooling system for my CPU which has a radiator which is attached to the fan on the top of the rear wall of the case. That fan is setup as an exhaust at the moment.

Do the monster fans have 3/4 pin headers or the 4 pin molex.

If molex, you would have to put a resistor between it and the power supply molex to reduce voltage, which will reduce speed.

You fan setup is right, cool air in from bottom/front/side, hot out from top and rear.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

Basically your CPU is exhausting all its heat outside the case with the H60, and depending on the model your 460's are likely exhausting most of there heat out of the case, so it's not really neccesary to have an elaborate fan setup, just leave them all plugged into the controller, what reason would you have for wanting them to run faster than the other fans?

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Sorry for such a late response. Life has been a roller coaster to say the least recently.

So the reason for the fans originally was to keep everything as cool as possible so i could try and overclock stuff. I dont know anything about overclocking and need to learn as much as i can about overclocking. I cant remember which node or what have you is checking the temp of what part but right now not playing a game just web browsing the hottest component is 36 degrees celsius.

Now i really need to get on top of this situation since i just purchased two 590 GTX video cards since im working towards a full 3d vision surround setup. They are gonna fit in my setup but will basically be touching each other which i hear makes these cards even hotter than they already are which is too hot i believe right?
Heres the 2 cards that are on the way...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130693

So will that fan controller in the link control my crazy fans? I purchased the NZXT sentry 2 i think its called, it was the most recommended fan controller on amazon and newegg. I like that it lets me monitor the temperature of anything i tape those weird little cords to. I only have room for one fan controller, i already had to get rid of my sound cards attachment for the front of the case so i could have the fan controller :(

I believe the connectors for the fans are 3 pin setups. They might be 4 pins but i doubt it and its hard to get at, at the moment. Lemme know if its vital to know if they are 3 or 4 pins and ill check em out.

-Thanks guys

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I ordered the fan controller unit natx post i hope it works. Hopefully that will keep my computer cool enough. I have over $700 saved that i dont wanna spend all on my computer, but im starting to think it might be a good idea to buy a new board and cpu, or at least thats what was suggested to me. People are thinking the two 590 GTX cards are gonna be bottlenecked with my sabertooth x58 mother board using 12 gigs of DDR3 ram and an intel I7 950 @ 3.07 ghz

Do you think ill run into any problems trying to use this setup with my cards for a full nvidia 3d surround setup?

TRENDING THREADS