GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3 Bios Reboot loop

Rukas191

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I have just Installed The gigabyte GA-z68ap-d3 and started it up for the first time. It is in a restart loop and i'm not sure what to do. The USB Ports or Ps2 are not working so I can't see what it's posting. I'm running a I5-3550 Ivy Bridge 1 stick of 8 gig Jaws a Gforce Nvdia 680 and a 2 gig Seagate Barracuda. Any Suggestions????

frowzy50

Honorable
May 19, 2012
I have the same problem. I have a Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev1.0 with a Ivy Bridge i5-3550, 2 x 4Gb Corsair DDR3 and a Nvidia 8800GTX. I get the Touch BIOS screen but can not select any options with two different keyboards (USB & PS/2). After 5 seconds it reboots in a infinite loop. I have logged a fault with Gigabyte and waiting a response. I read somewhere else earlier BIOS versions did not like Ivy Bridge CPU but you can not update the BIOS or see what version you have!!!

SteveStrifeX

Honorable
May 22, 2012
I had the same problem. I worked around it by taking out ALL but one stick of memory (16 Gigs -> 4 Gigs DDR3 RAM). I could then load to CD/DVD and install windows. When I put in the rest of the memory, I found that one stick of RAM was faulty, it would constantly reboot if it was plugged into any slot. That will solve the reboot problem. However, I've run into a new issue where Windows 7 keeps crashing. I've no idea why or if the problems are related. But at least that can help you get started on a solution

laurentgedm

Honorable
May 24, 2012

And how do you upgrade the bios if your cpu is not supported. To upgrade, i have to boot the computer, right?

Im i stuck with an old bios and a new (ivy bridge) cpu...?

gecko_30

Distinguished
May 18, 2012
I had ga-z68xp-ud4 with i5-3570k and the set didnt boot with factory installed bios F5. I bought a i5-2500k and updated to bios F6 and Ivy Bridge was working but the multiplier on i5-3570k was locked to x38 max. I'm currently selling the IB, the mobo box had a "Ready for next gen intel 22nm cpus" -sign which I thought was an indication for Ivy Bridge compatibility out of the box. Gigabyte might release a bios update where IB K-series are no longer limited to x38 but I'm not waiting for that. Before buying 2500K I had a suggestion that maybe I could update the bios at a store, could propably work out for someone with these issues..

chrizk

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012
Firstly, this relates to v2.0, I am not sure if it will work with v1.0
Secondly, I didn't note the BIOS version before I upgraded - I assume it was 'FA'
Thirdly, I experienced the 'boot loop' during a complete 'new' install with an Intel 3770K
If my experience is anything to go by, it may be that those suffering think the loop is indefinite ...mine was not. I left it looping in the hope that something changed. I do not know how long it was doing this for as I simply left it (I believe I came back to it within the hour, but not sure). When I came back, the screen was black other than a message saying that a boot device could not be found.
This allowed me to Ctl-Alt-Del and restart going back to the 'Logo' screen. From here, I was able to select End for Q-Flash.
NOTE - I was using a USB Keyboard at this point (I had tried PS2 during the loop to no avail)
I had extracted BIOS 'FD' to a USB stick, which was inserted into the USB port off the board.
When I chose 'Update BIOS from Drive' it reported that a drive could not be found.
I escaped from the update screen and started doing some restarts. I found that, in some instances, the keyboard was not active when returning to the Logo screen, but it was ok after a few seconds.
Eventually I used a different USB stick and it was recognised by Q-Flash which I used to update the BIOS. After this, no loop and I could access the BIOS without any problems.
Also note - I had disconnected my SATA devices before leaving the machine looping. I do not know if it was relevant to the message saying that there was no boot device (I don't see why it should be).
Hope that helps everyone struggling with this...

uliwunderlich

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
:bounce: :bounce:

Hi chrizk, Greetings from Germany, you are a REAL helper - thank you very much for this splendid explanation, you did help a lot - I was trying almost one week in vain, now everyting works!
If you ever come to Germany, pass over, you are invited!
Uli Wunderlich (www.uliwunderlich.de)

TRENDING THREADS