Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Brand new i5 2500k processor not working/overheating to 90 degrees C!

Last response: in CPUs
August 23, 2011 2:09:49 PM

Hey everyone,

So I'm working on my first build and everything is working perfectly except for the fan on the CPU, which doesn't spin at all. Everything is hooked up correctly, and I verified this multiple times, but the fan just won't work (all the case fans and the video card fan works). I didn't notice this until I was in the midst of setting up things in the BIOS menu and noticed the temperature was steadily creeping up until it hit 90 degrees Celsius at which point I shut it off. After realizing the fan wasn't running and fidgeting with things multiple times, I unplugged everything and removed the heatsink/fan and noticed that the processor and bottom of the heatsink look slightly burned or something.

Here are pictures of the processor and heatsink:

Let me know what you all think about why the fan isn't working and if the processor and heatsink are fried/ruined now. Thanks so much in advance.
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2011 2:19:11 PM

I can't view your pics, but I'm sure it's fine. It should shut itself down when it reaches too high of a temperature.

If the cpu is plugged into the correct fan header on the motherboard and it doesn't work, return the entire cpu and heatsink for a replacement.
Score
August 23, 2011 2:19:33 PM

what you are looking at is your thermal paste. is this your first build?

1, if your fan is not spinning, and you are for certain you had it plugged in, you need a new CPU cooler. have you checked the fan by plugging it into other power sources?

2, thermal paste looks a bit thin, i like to se just a bit more on the heat sink. remember to leave it thin, gooping it up doenst work as well as a nice thin layer.

90c is pretty damn warm, not going to lie. does your machine still start period? if it starts, your cpu should be fine, but dont run it,, go buy a new fan/cooler.

the cooler master hyper 212+ is a great cooler for under 30$. they are ones that perform better, but not for <30$.
Score
Related resources
August 23, 2011 2:24:45 PM

i just looked up the max specs for your CPU, it varies between 72.7C and 111C

i am not expert on CPU temps, there is cpu temp, core temp, and some other terms,, learning the more i read.

the above poster is correct, your machine should just auto shut down at critical temps. it wont start back up till it cools down.
Also, i do agree, that if your cpu fan isnt working, go ahead and just return to make sure nothing happened. If the power supply for your cpu fan on mobo isnt working, id return that too. Items do get shipped DOA, doesnt happen that often, but it does happen. your number may just have been the one pulled this time.
Score
August 23, 2011 2:27:54 PM

thanks for the quick responses. idk why the pics didnt upload, here's the link to the processor:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/processor.jpg/

It was plugged into the correct fan header (the one thats viewable in the bottom right of that picture). I guess I'm going to have to return the cpu/heatsink/fan, which is a total bummer.

Yes, this is my first build; what other source could I plug it into to check the CPU fan?

but yeah 90C is incredibly warm. It starts and runs fine, but the temperature reading in the BIOS just keeps climbing and climbing, and I shut it off at 90 because I didnt want it to reach any higher.
Score
August 23, 2011 2:35:58 PM

sometimes power supplies, or other case fans have 3 pin connectors. i hae a fan controller that has 3/4 pin hook ups, so i can test fans with it.

the reason i asked about the first build is just because you seemed concerned about the thermal paste. if you hadnt sen it before, you might wonder what the heck it is/is wrong.

CPU usually ship with a "stock" thermal paste on them. its a dark grey square on the bottom of the heat sink. it is 9 times out of 10 not as good as an after market paste. The stock coolers that come with your cpu, are also not always that great. They get mighty warm, if you are going to rma your products, may wish to order after market cooler at same time,, this way you wont have to take your rig apart in a month of so because you do not like the temps.

do a google search of coolers for your cpu, and often times you will see what stock cooler temps are... if you are ok with the temps, cool. just remember, your cpu will be running warm with the stock cooler.

most after market fans come with a tube of thermal paste. there are a ton of "preferred" ways to spread it on. jst do a "how to" search, pick up some tips. just remember you want good coverage without it being goopy.
Score
August 23, 2011 2:36:38 PM

there should be other fan headers on the board, called something like sysfan, try plugging the fan on that . If it does not spin then you have a faulty fan in which case you need to return the cpu,heatsink and fan. If it does spin, then the mobo cpu fan header is faulty, return the mobo
Score
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2011 3:18:12 PM

I don't understand why people are telling you to keep it and BUY a new fan. If the fan that came with it, which you paid for, is dead and possibly hurt the cpu, return it and get a new one FREE, don't go buy one.
Score
August 23, 2011 3:20:26 PM

who said keep it? we all said go ahead and return it. lol
Score
August 23, 2011 3:27:37 PM

again, thanks to everyone for the responses. I finally figured it out, and it was nothing too exciting. Before packaging it up and sending it back i decided to give it one more look, and I noticed that the wire around the cpu cooler looked like they might have been stopping the fan blade. I looked closer and sure enough, the wires had been wound so that the blade was just hitting the wires as it rotated, and I guess this contact was enough to disable to fan. I re-wound the wires around the cooler so that they weren't obstructing the fan blades and sure enough it works perfectly now and I'm idling at 45C, which is still slightly higher than I would like, but is much better than the 80-90 I was getting before. I may still invest in an aftermarket cooler if I see the temp getting much higher during stress, so thanks for the suggestion in that regard. Also, glad to know that the stuff on the processor/cooler is just the thermal paste and not any damage from the cpu getting so hot! Thanks again!
Score
August 23, 2011 3:28:27 PM

geekapproved said:
I don't understand why people are telling you to keep it and BUY a new fan. If the fan that came with it, which you paid for, is dead and possibly hurt the cpu, return it and get a new one FREE, don't go buy one.

no one said keep it, we are finding the problem.
Score
August 23, 2011 3:29:41 PM

it just looked like thermal paste to me. but without being able to more closely inspect, hard to say.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2011 4:17:20 PM

Mrthorp said:
who said keep it? we all said go ahead and return it. lol

You told him to go buy a new cooling fan for $30 did you not?? That would mean KEEP the cpu does it not?

Please at least try to remember your own posts. :hello: 

Quote:
your cpu should be fine, but dont run it,, go buy a new fan/cooler.

the cooler master hyper 212+ is a great cooler for under 30$. they are ones that perform better, but not for <30$.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2011 4:20:35 PM

dhicks19 said:
no one said keep it, we are finding the problem.

Telling him to go buy a new fan for $30 is not telling him to keep the cpu? :hello: 
Score
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2011 4:32:50 PM

From OP's pics, you can see that the heatsink wasn't installed correctly. The thermal pad isn't even touched on one corner, you can still see the squared edges of the factory applied pad (never pressed to the CPU).
Score
August 23, 2011 7:16:29 PM

Damn, really? I'm 99.9 percent sure I did everything correctly. Either way, I just reinstalled the heatsink after fixing the wiring and its all working fine, cpu is running about 40-45C during BIOS. Do you think I should look into getting some aftermarket thermal paste to apply on there sometime this week or is it not worth worrying about?
Score
August 23, 2011 8:06:40 PM

geekapproved said:
You told him to go buy a new cooling fan for $30 did you not?? That would mean KEEP the cpu does it not?

Please at least try to remember your own posts. :hello: 

Quote:
your cpu should be fine, but dont run it,, go buy a new fan/cooler.

are you trying to be an asshat? did you read the post after the one you are trying to quote, where i clearly, said,

"Also, i do agree, that if your cpu fan isnt working, go ahead and just return to make sure nothing happened."

And, since you are trying to be a jerk off and talk about making sure posts are being read.. did you see the one where the OP said his fan is in fact working, and it was basically operator mounting error that resulted in the high temps.
please make sure you are correct yourself before talking any further smack.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2011 8:47:26 PM

Actually I was too busy trying to point out that you can't remember what you wrote and missed his post.

All I said is in your 1st post, you suggested he go out and buy a $30 cooler. You denied it. I pointed out that you did.

Get over it, it was a dumb suggestion, and we accept your apology for not thinking.
Score
August 24, 2011 8:13:23 AM

geekapproved said:
Actually I was too busy trying to point out that you can't remember what you wrote and missed his post.

All I said is in your 1st post, you suggested he go out and buy a $30 cooler. You denied it. I pointed out that you did.

Get over it, it was a dumb suggestion, and we accept your apology for not thinking.

Dont cry, if he did suggest buy a new cooler /fan its not a big issue is it. I know it is not the case now but if i had a faulty intel cooler I would rather go out and buy a new cooler and fan than return the whole cpu and intel heatsink because I am impatient.

So stop moaning
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 24, 2011 11:02:00 AM

This topic has been closed by Grumpy9117
Score
!