Sign in with
Your question

Dimm 1 Memory Slot not working?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 11, 2012 8:11:09 AM

I just built a new computer, I turned it on for the first time but it only powered on for 3 seconds and would cycle reboot repeating over again. The first thing I checked for was the memory so I took one of my 4GB memory sticks out of the Dimm 1 slot and it booted up. After booting, I set all the settings for the memory in bios and tried both sticks again but again same problem. My next step was to test the second 4GB in Dimm 2 slot and it worked fine. I then tested both sticks in Dimm 1 and the same problem arised. I put the memory back into Dimm 2, updated the bios and tried both sticks but still same issue. Would resetting the cmos do any good or should I just return the motherboard to the store I bought it from?

Motherboard: MSI H67MA-E35 Intel
Chipset: Intel Core i5 2500K
Memory: 2x 4GB Patriot - PGV38G1333ELK DDR3 SDRAM
GPU: Radeon 6870
PSU: OCZ ZS series 650W
HD: Kingston 128GB V Series SSD
a c 431 V Motherboard
a c 81 } Memory
May 11, 2012 10:04:43 AM

it the mb and the ram. your ram is not on msi ram guild for that mb. there are only a few 4g sticks that will run in both slots.
May 11, 2012 3:13:08 PM

smorizio said:
it the mb and the ram. your ram is not on msi ram guild for that mb. there are only a few 4g sticks that will run in both slots.

I figured if the ram wasnt compatible it wouldnt work in either slot or atleast boot up and only show 4GB out of the 8GB. I will try different sticks now. Also after looking at the bios update it said that they increased a lot of the compatibility of RAM in more than one update. When I run a crucial scan of what kind of memory I can use it says: PC3-10600, 12800, 8500, 14900, and 16000 are all compatible when on the box it originally only stated it would work with DDR3 1066/1333
Related resources
May 12, 2012 3:51:05 PM

Just tried Kingston 10600U KTW149-ELD 1GB no luck

If someone can help me out and answer this question: Should the dimm slot closest to the CPU work with 1 stick of RAM? If so then I'm going to return the motherboard, if not then I am going to buy different memory that's on the list of compatible sticks and try it out.
May 13, 2012 5:48:04 AM

Nevermind I'm just going to return the Motherboard, I can't see why the slot nearest to the CPU wouldn't work when its brand new other then it just being faulty.
!