Monitor doesn't detect custom PC, HELP

Xador

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Hey everyone! So, I just built a computer with the following components:

CPU: Amd Phenom II X4 840 95W
Motherboard: ASRock M3A770DE
Graphics Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870
RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC10666/1333MHz CL9 2x4GB (CMX8GX3M2A1333C9)
Power Supply Unit: Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2 650W
DVD-Burner: Sony Optiarc AD-5260S
Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500413AS 16MB 500GB

So, first of all it wouldn't boot at all, but that was because the 4-pin connector was incorrectly 'installed' into the motherboard. Speaking of which, the motherboard supports an 8-pin connector but I only have 4-pin connectors (two of them). Should I use two 4-pin connectors or only one? Moving on! When I got the PC running, I directly bumped into another problem, the monitor didn't detect any signal. The monitor got HDMI, VGA and DVI. I've had this problem before when I upgraded my own computer, but the solution to that was that the 8-pin connector to the psu was kinda loose (problem solved in tom's hardware, thanks!). So it's not the same problem.
So here are some things I've tried: (I can't remember all of them :??: )

Switching the graphics card into a slower (Radeon HD 5450) which didn't use any connectors from the psu, didn't change anything.
Moving the graphics card from a red PCIe 2.0 crossfire bridge into a red one, didn't change anything either (except that I might broke the green one :cry: )
Disconnecting the wires from the harddrive and the dvd-burner, didn't change anything either.
Using a VGA connector. Using a DVI connector. Using a HDMI connector. Connecting an HDMI wire in the computer an then connecting to the screen through a DVI adapter.
Tom's hardware
.. oh snap! ;)

Also, when the PC is booted and running, all leds are working and the fans are spinning but I can't open the DVD-burner :(

Please, any suggestion will be appreciated. Please help me!

dbonetrain

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
The single 4 pin should be fine. From what I have read in a few reviews and on other sites is that the 8 pin is for pushing more power to the CPU.

As for the Monitor not working ensure it's power cord is plugged in, the video cord is plugged in snug into both the video card and the monitor.

Can you confirm the Monitor works at all? Plug it into a working computer, or even get a power light. When you say it doesn't receive any signal does the monitor display that or are you guessing that?

Ensure the video card is not dead. Check that the fans are powered. Also, leave the gpu in the green slot which is x16 mode.

Xador

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

Right now two 4-pin connectors are connected to the motherboard. The monitor got power and the light is working. The video card's fan is spinning. Also, I was wrong about moving the graphics card, I moved it from red to green. Thanks for the suggestions!

dbonetrain

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Can you give me the monitor model?

Does the monitor have auto detect? For instance a tv you have to set it to the correct input, but most monitors will automatically detect it.

Do you have all the cords for the connections? Try HDMI on the monitor to HDMI on the video card.

Xador

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

The screen is a Benq G2420HD, it's got autodetect by standard. Also, I've already tried HDMI. Thanks once again! =D

dbonetrain

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Oops, my mistake. Take the mobo out and place it on a wooden table or cardboard or some non conductive material. Place the cease nearby in order to be able to use the power button connected to the mobo front panel. Leave only one stick of RAM and see what happens.

dbonetrain

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
I just read another user using the same monitor saying that the monitor does not automatically detect HDMI. The other user had to enter the menu and select HDMI input.

If you could navigate the menus and confirm that HDMI is selected that would be helpful.

Xador

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

How am I supposed to go around in bios when my monitor doesn't get a signal?

dbonetrain

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
I do not see ram causing a video issue like that. I believe there would at least be some signal sent, but in case the ram is causing an issue try to remove it down to 1 stick.

If video does not come back, try the other stick. Again, I do not think it is ram.

Xador

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried using both HDMI wire and the HDMI setting but it didn't work. Same thing goes for DVI. I also tried changing monitor.
So, what we know is that:
It's not the video card, the harddrive, the monitor or the DVD-burner that is broken.
It could however be the psu, the motherboard or the CPU. I am not suspecting that it's the psu just because I can't get a picture, the DVD-burner didn't open either. The pus was well packaged, it's famous, it's a very high quality and I've caused it no harm.

dbonetrain

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
From reviews I have read of the motherboard on newegg it seems like your board is DOA. Do you have an older processer that fits that socket? If so try to plug it in, boot your machine and try that.

One post said that the DOA boards are not DOA, but not supportive of the higher end CPUs. I doubt this as many other users do not state updating the BIOS.

The last thing I can think of that could be causing an issue is what others have posted about the board being DOA, or the BIOS is outdated.

Xador

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

I got another CPU that goes in that socket but it is not older. So lets say that the bios are old and not compatible with modern CPUs. Do you think I should return the motherboard and buy another one? Or do you think I should send the pc into a service? Or is there any other way to fix it? Thanks for the help!

dbonetrain

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
The review I read said that he only needed the old cpu because it was supported by the old bios. Once he updated the bios his newer cpu worked just fine. I would try that, and then if it didnt work take it into a local shop and ask them to confirm it is DOA.

No problem about helping. It has been one boring day at the help desk.

Xador

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

The other CPU that fits into the motherboard is an athlon II x4 630 2.8 ghz. If that doesn't count as an older CPU then I'm quite screwed, am I not? Is there no other way to get inside the bios?

Xador

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

I am right now contacting the asrock tech support. (Asrock made the motherboard)

dbonetrain

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Assuming it is correctly plugged in, powered, and nothing is wrong with it, the mobo might be causing it not to open.

I would think if it is powered though, regardless of mobo operation, you could open it. Try spamming the button.

Xador

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

Alrigt, so we know the problem and it can't be fixed if I don't add some extra money, which I'm not going to (okay, technically I am.. XD)
So I've been looking at this other motherboard called Asus M4A88TD-V EVO it looks really nice! I've got a question:
It got a integrated graphic processor, how do I install it? Does it matter if I put the other video card into the PCIe slot? Because it shouldn't since the CPU is handling all the pixels that are shown until I install the drivers for the video card, am I right?