[HELP] Replacing Fan on Cooler Master HAF X

purepenny

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Hello,

I am about to buy Cooler Master HAF X for my new gaming. And i am thinking of adding extra fan on it, and also replacing the stock fan with other fan.
Here is the case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

I am not going to use Liquid cooling.
I am purchasing Fan/Temp Control.
I will be SLI GTX 560 Ti.
Looking to Overclock it in the future.
LED Fan would be cool but i don't need it.

Any comment and suggestion is greatly appreciate. :D
Thank you very much.

Purepenny

Congratulations on your HAF-X case!

Adding fans is always a great idea; go ahead. As for the stock fans; they are pretty good fans. I have the HAF 932 running on stock fans, and I added a 120mm fan (intake) at the bottom next to the HX-850 Corsair PSU.

You will notice that the HAF series provide great air circulation. Run it for a few weeks and then decide about replacing fans. You will find that you don't need to replace any fans!

goosegas

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

Your Thor thing is a better case than the Coolermaster HAF-X why?
Because you have one?
I read the review and I don't see anywhere that the reviewer makes that claim
As a matter of fact I have read many reviews to the contrary.

No, I do not own a HAF-X, nor would I. Having discovered that Coolermaster puts liar labels on some of their PSUs, and in at least one case claims protections that are actually missing (fact; not opinion; reviews at HardwareSecrets) I have placed Coolermaster on my "Do not buy" list for being a dishonest company. Having also discovered that almost every one of their cases I bought in the past has trivial but tiresome quality issues, I wouldn't buy their cases anyway. Fortunately, every Rosewill case I've ever bought (I have not bought a Thor) had none of those problems.

goosegas

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
No, I didn't mean you own a HAF-X, because if you did you would love it. I meant this Thor thing you are so high on. You claim it is better, but the review you point to says no such thing.

Also, I thought we were talking about cases here, I guess not, since you are clouding up the issue with power supplies now.

Coolermaster HAF-X has outstanding reviews as well as outstanding ratings from people just like you and I.
5 out of 5 eggs on Newegg based on 784 reviews.

So to summarize, the review you point to says no such thing about the Thor being better than the HAF-X, plus you try to justify your criticism of the HAF-X by referencing other experiences that have nothing to do with this case, or what we were talking about.

If you have a personal opinion, say I have a personal opinion or preference, don't point to a review that doesn't support your statement.

I indicated a highly favorable review from a respected source (Anandtech) in which the Thor outperformed a number of other high quality cases for cooling and/or noise.
I then made the statement that Coolermaster is a dishonest company (not deserving of my business) and supported it with other competent technical reviews from a respected source (HardwareSecrets). IMHO they are not deserving of ANYONE'S business at least until they clean up their act.
To summarize, whether or not the HAF-X is a perfect case is not relevant; it is offered by a dishonest company, and I cannot with clear conscience do business with them, nor recommend them to others. Fortunately, I have found that in every market where Coolermaster sells something, it has competitors selling similar products for similar prices, so you won't lose out for refusing to do business with CM.

chubrock

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

I read both reviews you referenced and no where do I see your sources of your comments. Anandtech didn’t even mention coolermaster is a better case it didn’t even mention coolmaster for that matter. HardwareSecrets complaints were around the price tag and a dust filter at the bottom of case which coolermaster has since amended and Newegg had the haf x $169.00 with a $20 rebate=$149 same as the ThorV2. Talk about dishonest? You make unsubstantiated claims with no support.

The first review compares the Thor favorably to a number of other cases. I did not mention Coolermaster. Since my own personal experiences with Coolermaster (trivial and correctable but omnipresent quality issues, especially when compared to Rosewill, which has never, in my experience, had any of the same problems) are of questionable importance, I did not mention them.
The other reviews, referenced but not linked until now: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Power-Plus-600-W-Power-Supply-Review/1034/9 and http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Elite-Power-350-W-Power-Supply-Review/1184/9 and perhaps especially http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Elite-Power-460-W-Power-Supply-Review/1005/9 indicate DISHONESTY, and THAT, more than anything else, is why I recommend against doing business with Coolermaster.