Sign in with
Your question

Random Shutdown of Computer, no idea where its coming from.

Last response: in Systems
May 28, 2011 1:38:34 PM

Hey guys, I recently upgraded my computer, and I am having random shut downs, like someone just pulled the plug on my computer. It'll happen at random variables and random uses. It has also happened while I left it idling over night. I'm not quite sure where/how to test or even start to check why this is occurring. I don't believe it's overheating causes, SpeedFan tells me that nothing is going over 40 degrees. Any help or direction with in regards to this or even pointing me to a diag/stablity check program would be great.

Before the problem:
i5 2500k 3.3gb
Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 mobo
XFX Radeon HD 6870
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 12gb (2x4, 2x2) 1600
700W Power supply
and an OLD Maxtor 200gb HD, threw it out already.

I added these parts and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 and the shutdowns started to occur:
Zalman CNPS900a heat sink
2 - OCZ Agility 3 120gb ssd. (RAID0)
1tb WD Caviar Black
Also threw all this into a new case Antec 900-2

I watched/read a few videos/how to with the heat sink and I think i'm okay and SpeedFan says it doesn't go over.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks!

April 11, 2012 12:09:28 PM

clidox said:
Hey guys, I recently upgraded my computer, and I am having random shut downs, like someone just pulled the plug on my computer. It'll happen at random variables and random uses. It has also happened while I left it idling over night. I'm not quite sure where/how to test or even start to check why this is occurring. I don't believe it's overheating causes, SpeedFan tells me that nothing is going over 40 degrees. Any help or direction with in regards to this or even pointing me to a diag/stablity check program would be great.

Before the problem:
i5 2500k 3.3gb
Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 mobo
XFX Radeon HD 6870
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 12gb (2x4, 2x2) 1600
700W Power supply
and an OLD Maxtor 200gb HD, threw it out already.

I added these parts and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 and the shutdowns started to occur:
Zalman CNPS900a heat sink
2 - OCZ Agility 3 120gb ssd. (RAID0)
1tb WD Caviar Black
Also threw all this into a new case Antec 900-2

I watched/read a few videos/how to with the heat sink and I think i'm okay and SpeedFan says it doesn't go over.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks!

I have a OCZ 128 gb en was in big trouble (shutdowns/bsod s) until the firmware was updated from 4 to version 14)
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 11, 2012 12:21:42 PM

Speedfan has accuracy issues with temp readings, I would suggest using HWmonitor.

Just out of curiosity, can you install windows 7 onto the Caviar black and run that as your boot drive and see if it still happens? That would be the simplest thing to do to rule out problems.

Now you mention the wattage of your PSU, but not brand and model, this can be important. Also, are just for fun have you checked all your connections to make sure that you didn't loosen anything when you added the new components?
April 21, 2012 12:11:22 PM

I am not hijacking this thread; I'm saying clidox may have a PSU problem. I'm seeing failed (bulged/leaking) capacitors in PSUs just like the infamous "Capacitor Plague" that is crippling many flat panel TVs, especially Samsung, and I can post/send image examples.

I have a very similar issue; wanna guess PSU brand? Yep, OCZ, and I share the opinion of other Forum posters regarding OCZ PSUs, i.e., they are flaky. This one is the more expensive 700 watt OCZ Fatal1ty Cooler Master.

Been building PCs for a dozen years, and this one happens to be my personal PC, to which, to be extra watt safe, I added an Auxiliary Power Supply – Ultra Power Partner 325W ATX.

But once every couple of days this puppy will shutdown, no BSOD, no errors, no app problems, no warning whatsoever . . . all while other PCs right in the same room (on the same inlet power) keep humming right along. Matters not whether I'm cranking it under a heavy load or have walked away leaving it idle . . . BAM! Shutdown!

I've done a little bit of everything, including swapping out memory, EXCEPT pull out the PSU with a mega-snakepit of wires, but I'll give even money it's the PSU on mine and on clidox's.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
700 watt OCZ Fatal1tyCooler Master
Auxiliary Power Supply – Ultra Power Partner 325W ATX
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 Intel X48
G.Skill DDR2-1000 MHz 8 GB (4X2GB), PC2-8000, 2.1V, 5-5-5-15
EVGA 512-P3-N802 e-GeForce 8800 GT, SuperClocked, GDDR3
(2) 300 GB Western Digital VelociRaptors 10K RPM SATA, RAID0
(2) 1 TB 7.2K RPM SATA, RAID0
(1) 1 TB 7.2K RPM SATA
(1) 500 GB, 7.2K RPM IDE
(1) 1 TB, 7.2K RPM SATA, in Docking Bay
TSST corp CD/DVD