Having trouble figuring out which power plugs are needed for my mobo

anxious_galaxyhopper

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
I have a pre-built HP E9200z computer that I recently transplanted into a CM HAF 932. The idea is to slowly create an entirely new machine as I have the resources and time. Right now, I want to go ahead and replace the stock power supply with a better model (preferably Corsair and modular). I do plan on creating a crossfire system, so I want to future proof a bit liberally with the total power. My problem is that I don't know too much about PSUs and I need some help finding a unit with the right plugs. I get that the main power connector is 20+4 pin. But, there is an additional 4-pin power plug on my mobo (link to the board below). On Newegg, it looks like all of the power supplies have an additional 8-pin connector instead of the 4 pins on my mobo. How do I know what to look for? I have heard about ATX and EPS supplies, but I don't know the difference.

Link to my motherboard specifications (there is no manual provided, seeing as it's custom made for HP).

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01925486&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=4066499

I know it's probably a bit of a n00b question, but you guys have been immensely helpful so far!

ngoy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I remember some of my power supplies having a detachable 4 pin from the 20, and sometimes the same for the 8pin connector (I've skipped a generation of upgrades here and there though). Wikipedia says (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX)

EPS12V is defined in SSI, and used primarily by SMP/multi-core systems such as Core 2, Core i7, Opteron and Xeon. It has a 24-pin main connector (same as ATX12V v2.x), an 8-pin secondary connector, and an optional 4-pin tertiary connector. Rather than include the extra cable, many power supply makers implement the 8-pin connector as two combinable 4-pin connectors to ensure backwards compatibility with ATX12V motherboards."

So any ps that says ATX12V is good, but it is best (most are now) is it supports ATX12V and EPS12V, because when you get a new motherboard you probably won't have to change the ps.

anxious_galaxyhopper

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011

I see, I was under the impression that the 20+4 pin connector was the only one that latched two plugs together. So, any high end power supply should work with this cheap foxconn mobo? Like I said, I want to update the PSU before investing in a high caliber mobo and RAM kit.

Thanks!