Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dead Motherboard Replacement Advice

Last response: in Motherboards
May 11, 2012 4:57:47 PM

Power supply and MOBO are dead, says the professional certified guy at Future Shop (owned by Best Buy) HD and DVD whirring, fans are from the dead MOBO's headers, so not spinning. I have found from an HP refurbished parts supplier the same MOBO (almost, see below) and the same PSU. Together costs me ($65 to my door) I want to repair my computer.

Never done a build or trouble shooting, but am familiar with PSU's & MOBO's and physically hooking them up. Not sure of the software implications using refurbished MOBO. The Desktop is an HP m7760n Media Centre details are shown below "THE DESKTOP".

There is no book or CD for drivers. Another complication; the MOBO at some point was "updated" from 3PCI + 1PCIe 16 to 2 PCI +1 PCIe1 + 1 PCIe16. No other changes, but MOBO name Leonite P5LP-LE is made by ASUS for HP. Updated name is Leonite 2 G8LE. From the HP site I used the computer Model and part number to look for the drives. I found them and downloaded the Vista version (32Bit).

REPAIRING

What I can do. I can pull all the power, data, RAM and extension cards, including the front panel, system and CPU fan headers, replace with a new battery and reattach to the new MOBO. I can remove the CPU / fan combo and re-install it.

What I do not know are the next steps to get my computer working. I do have a bootable drive that was used to load the drivers for the original MOBO. Does that help? or would the changes in the PCI config impact this? Or am I out to lunch! I can check the BIOS to see if things show up . If they all do, does it mean the drivers are in play?

I need a numbered instruction to deal with making sure that I can get my computer working. If the CPU is fried, I have access to one working on a Kijiji supplier that has one working on a Dell and he will sell it for $40.

Not sure what I have missed out on this request.

THE DESKTOP
Purchased in 2007 is a HP m7760n Media Centre Vista Home Premium with a Hauppage 1600 TV tuner. Core 2 duo E6400 processor with 500G HD (2X250G) and Lightscribe Multi DVD/R/W. I have a 2T external HD USB 3. I am 66 and retired and this computer is more than adequate. I have a Thinkpad T61, IdeaPad Se10 netbook and BB Playbook between the two of us for our mobility needs. The desktop, a 23 inch LCD, All in one HP Deskjet printer is the work horse for better keyboard /screen /printer/scanner comforts when our aging sight is put to the test.

Most grateful if anyone can demystify the things I cannot do without instructions.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12132708-...

Best solution

May 12, 2012 8:05:22 AM

The motherboard should have the basic bios/drivers to boot the computer. If you have your windows disk, you may want to boot from that and run the repair option, this way it will account for the new MOBO instead of the old one. After you do that, you can go to the motherboard website, and download the latest drivers/BIOS. The motherboard may come with a disc for the drivers, but it is usually best to get the most recent versions online.
May 12, 2012 2:37:49 PM

Thank you very much. Seems that , without windows loaded I can at least confirm that the motherboard works and that the Hard drives and DVD are connected.

You said "If you have your windows disk". All I have is the boot HD running Vista. No boot DVD or cd. Please confirm. Would it be better to get off Vista and do a fresh install of Windows 7? The only reason I was hoping I could use my original hard drive to boot Vista and was to avoid re- installing my apps. There music apps That are now non existent!

I read and concluded that when the chip set is the same, this is possible. No need to re install the apps. I am a suffer on this stuff. Hoping to avoid screwing this up.

Thanks again

Score
Related resources
May 22, 2012 9:50:58 AM

Best answer selected by goodgenie4u.
Score
May 22, 2012 9:54:17 AM

birrdd123 said:
The motherboard should have the basic bios/drivers to boot the computer. If you have your windows disk, you may want to boot from that and run the repair option, this way it will account for the new MOBO instead of the old one. After you do that, you can go to the motherboard website, and download the latest drivers/BIOS. The motherboard may come with a disc for the drivers, but it is usually best to get the most recent versions online.

Thanks. After connecting everything, it booted Vista but would not let me go past the log on button as my profile service was not accessible. Had to use the second disk that was reformatted and decided to upgrade to Win 7
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b α HP
a c 328 V Motherboard
May 24, 2012 8:36:22 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!