Seeking motherboard selection assistance

Nicksaerian

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Good day to you all!

I'm looking for a bit of help selecting a proper motherboard for a new set up I'm assembling. It's been a few years since I've rebuilt and I'm behind the 8-ball as far as CPU/mobo pairings go. I hope you'll be able to assist!

I'm looking at going with the Intel i7-3770 or the i7-3770S, both Ivy bridge and 1155 socket, for a CPU. I have a Nvidia Geforce 560 GTX ready to plug in as well. I have not selected memory yet. I don't plan on doing any overclocking. I don't plan on using more than one graphics card either.

That being said, I'm not sure what north/south bridge I should be looking for to maximize the CPU type I'm interested in. My cursory investigations into north bridges point me in the direction of Z77, Z75, H77, Q77, Q75, or B75. Of those, I haven't a clue what to choose and it's where I'd like your help.

Thank you!

SetZ

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Z77's probably the way to go. Performance and feature wise, it has the most out of it. But if you're really sure that you won't do any overclocking on your cpu and will only be using one graphics card then you could definitely go with the H77, which is cheaper than the Z77.