How to upgrade the memory on a Dell Latitude CPi

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
May 29, 2005 1:32:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I've got a dell latitude CPi and it's only got a 64Mb RAM. I'm running
windowsme and I want to upgrade the memory to 128MB or above. But how easy
is it for a complete novice? DO i just buy the right component on ebay and
then just plug it in? I've no hardware knowledge, how easy is it? And how
expensive is it?

Peter
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
May 29, 2005 2:02:56 PM

On 28/05/2005 Peter Brown wrote:

> I've got a dell latitude CPi and it's only got a 64Mb RAM. I'm running
> windowsme and I want to upgrade the memory to 128MB or above. But how
> easy is it for a complete novice? DO i just buy the right component
> on ebay and then just plug it in? I've no hardware knowledge, how
> easy is it? And how expensive is it?
>
> Peter

You may be out of luck. Crucial's memory tool (www.crucial.com/uk) says
that no suitable memory is available for this model. Have you had a
look at Dell's web site to see if there is any guidance there?

--
Jeff Gaines
Damerham Hampshire UK

On Sat, 28 May 2005 21:32:48 +0100, "Peter Brown"
<peter@brown9322.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>I've got a dell latitude CPi and it's only got a 64Mb RAM. I'm running
>windowsme and I want to upgrade the memory to 128MB or above. But how easy
>is it for a complete novice? DO i just buy the right component on ebay and
>then just plug it in? I've no hardware knowledge, how easy is it? And how
>expensive is it?

Well, it depends upon which CPi model you have. If you have a CPiD
model, you need EDO sodimm modules, and they are very expensive.
Additionally, you can only get a max of 256MB using 2 128MB modules,
and the last time I priced them, they were about $150-175 each (US).
If you have a CPiA or a CPiR, then you need PC66 sodimm modules.
Those are a bit more reasonable in price, but I think that you still
have the same size limitations. The other note I will tell you is
that you need the "low profile" versions of the memory. The way the
memory fits into the compartment, you are limited to the height of
the module otherwise you can only fit on stick in.

All things considered, you might want to consider upgrading that
system to something a little newer (which uses more common
components). For a little more than the cost to upgrade your existing
system. Yesterdays sale ads here in the US have a 1.3GHz Celeron for
around $500 at Best Buy, so you should be able to get a similar deal
there...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
July 8, 2005 3:24:34 PM

Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 28/05/2005 Peter Brown wrote:
>

>>I've got a dell latitude CPi and it's only got a 64Mb RAM. I'm running
>>windowsme and I want to upgrade the memory to 128MB or above. But how
>>easy is it for a complete novice? DO i just buy the right component
>>on ebay and then just plug it in? I've no hardware knowledge, how
>>easy is it? And how expensive is it?
>>
>>Peter
>

> You may be out of luck. Crucial's memory tool (www.crucial.com/uk) says
> that no suitable memory is available for this model. Have you had a
> look at Dell's web site to see if there is any guidance there?

this machine has a cover underneath, just slide it off, there should
be 2 sockets, one should be filled with a 64mb memroy block, the other
should be empty and will except another 64mb memory block.

philip
!