Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What is the best video card compatible with a micronpc pentium 3?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 18, 2011 5:45:58 PM

I have 'inherited' a Micronpc from 2002 that has a Pentium3 Processor a 40 gig hdd 512mb ram and a crappy 36mb video card. I'm looking to upgrade to about 3 gigs ram, at least an 80 - 250gig hdd, and a really great video card, and maybe a new high speed ethernet card if I can.

I just don't know what video cards are compatible... motherboard is a... well I'm not quite sure, all I see in one corner is Intel Desktop Board.

I would like the put as good as I can in it, including a high speed gaming ethernet card. Are these systems able to equip SLI tech? Probably not huh?

Well, any feedback that will point me to a great card so I can have a decent temporary gaming pc will be most appreciated!

Sincerely,

Bewildered

Best solution

a c 141 U Graphics card
March 18, 2011 6:00:14 PM

just keep your system as it be. if you want 'great video card' just save your money and build a new rig from the scratch.
a c 355 U Graphics card
March 18, 2011 6:51:55 PM

I'm afraid that computer is considered ancient. It actually predates 2002 since the Penitum 4 was released in 2000.

It's pretty hard breathing new life into a 10+ year old computer. You most likely have an AGP port and some PCI ports (not to be confused with PCI-e ports).
Related resources
March 19, 2011 4:49:54 PM

Ok... Since it seems unanimous that I just leave the old guy alone. then that is what it will be.. But to continue my questions...

What are RAID controllers? How will they improve my computers performance?

And if I should aquire a raid device which is better? a- LSI MegaRaid 9260-4i RAID Controller or b- LSI MegaRaid 9260-8i RAID Controller

And I am wishing to build my own pc ... where should I buy the following components to get a decent not sky high price on them? Any suggestions?

Motherboard - Asus Rampage III Extreme
Processor - Intel Core i7 970 3.2 Ghz LGA 1366 Hex-Core Processor
Cooling - Asetek 570 LC
Card reader- 40 - in -1
PSU - 750 Watt Corsair
Graphics - Dual 1GB GDDR5 Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
Memory - 12GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 MHz Tri Channel Memory
HDD x2- 2TB Wester Digital SATA 7200 Rpm 64 MB Cache
Optical drives x2- Pioneer 12X Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner
Audio - ASUS Xonar D2X
Network - Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card
Additional Card - USB 3.0 SuperSpeed 2-Port PCI Express Card

Will I still be able to run windows xp on such a system or will I HAVE to go to windows 7?

And if you see that the components could be tweaked to a better thing not too far out of price range then share the opinions please.

I know I have a lot of questions, but I want a beast that can be upgraded for years to come and that will breeze through anything ... EVE W.o.W Thang anything online or off. And be able to Multitask like a pro.

Thank you so much for your feedbacks so far. Teach me Guru's of tech!
a c 172 U Graphics card
March 19, 2011 4:57:16 PM

jaguarskx said:
I'm afraid that computer is considered ancient. It actually predates 2002 since the Penitum 4 was released in 2000.

It's pretty hard breathing new life into a 10+ year old computer. You most likely have an AGP port and some PCI ports (not to be confused with PCI-e ports).

OEMs and small system builders continued to build p3 for a while after the p4 era had started. When the original pentium 4 hit the market as the socket 423 platform it was Very costly vs every other platform. Also some p3 machines manged to compete and even out perform some early p4s due to architecture reasons such as the p4's double clocked but very weak floating point unit, small l1 cache and very high latency on the system i/o. So most either stayed with the p3 or went amd in those years till Intel finally had DDR chipsets for the p4 then it's popularity took off. Servers however remained using the p3 long after the normal desktops were no longer being manufactured.
a c 172 U Graphics card
March 19, 2011 4:59:07 PM

If you do decide to put any effort into upgrading this machine then do not use any drives that are above 120gb while the gpu upgrade can be done for like $10-15 which is nearly a free card. Beyond that it is ok for retro or backup.
April 5, 2011 4:19:05 PM

nforce4max said:
If you do decide to put any effort into upgrading this machine then do not use any drives that are above 120gb while the gpu upgrade can be done for like $10-15 which is nearly a free card. Beyond that it is ok for retro or backup.

You seem to know a bit. . . One question, when you said " ... while the gpu upgrade can be done for like $10-15 ... " Gpu is the processor? And, what Gpu should I go with in your opinion. Oh, and where would I find components that old, I got my hands on an ATI Radeon 7500 video card the other day, , , the Official ATI site doesn't even offer the driver for that card anymore. So, I'm at a point where I'm thinking the first answer was right, " Don't waste your time ".
a c 125 U Graphics card
April 5, 2011 4:52:08 PM

wulfeyez127 said:
Motherboard - Asus Rampage III Extreme
Processor - Intel Core i7 970 3.2 Ghz LGA 1366 Hex-Core Processor
Cooling - Asetek 570 LC
Card reader- 40 - in -1
PSU - 750 Watt Corsair
Graphics - Dual 1GB GDDR5 Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
Memory - 12GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 MHz Tri Channel Memory
HDD x2- 2TB Wester Digital SATA 7200 Rpm 64 MB Cache
Optical drives x2- Pioneer 12X Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner
Audio - ASUS Xonar D2X
Network - Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card
Additional Card - USB 3.0 SuperSpeed 2-Port PCI Express Card

The use you plant to put this computer to will greatly change what you need for the PC. I'm assuming this is for gaming. Now considering you're not really knowledgeable let me say this:

CPU - overkill and not much point in getting a 1366 CPU when 1155 is so much faster (i5 2600k, although i5 2500k is more than enough for gaming)

Card reader - probably useless but you might need it...

memory 6-8gb is more than enough for gaming

HDD: 4TBs is HUGE. I have 1TB storage with tons and tons of movies and games and barely over half full. I'd say two 1TB drives maybe in RAID 0 for a little more speed is PLENTY. Also, no, you do not at all need a RAID controller. Also given that all these parts are adding up to, what, more than 2 grand, you most definitely should get a 120gb or so SSD for boot drive and to throw some games on there.

Audio - not needed at all, unless you run high impedance headphones or have audiophile quality sound (maybe a top end receiver or something).

Network - not needed at all

USB 3 card - not needed at all

I recommend you head over to the system builder forum, read the stickies, and then make a post to get some helpful ideas.
April 6, 2011 5:04:27 PM

wolfram23 said:
I recommend you head over to the system builder forum, read the stickies, and then make a post to get some helpful ideas.

Thanks for the input. I will go check out the system builder forum. You are correct in assuming that the pc I'm wanting to build is for gaming. I will take your advice into consideration.

As for my thread starter question, solved, I'm just going to leave it as is for old school emulation. Thank you all for your help and advice!

Friedtoenail
April 6, 2011 5:04:58 PM

Best answer selected by wulfeyez127.
!