1GB or 2GB for High Res. Texture Packs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calimora

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Hi,

I was wondering which would be the best choice for modding my games with High Resolution Texture Packs. My options are between a GTX 560ti and HD 6950

Thanks!

Solution

1.) 1GB is enough. The 2GB model is really only if you plan to have a multi-monitor setup or you plan to flash it to a 6970 (not 100% guaranteed to work). The differences you would see between the two memory amounts is marginal.

2.) I want to say no... tessellation is a DX11 feature that has to do with rendering polygons, and wouldn't have that much of a bearing on textures. Of course, I could be bastardizing my understandings, and might be completely wrong.

calimora

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Thank you all for the answers.

I have two more questions though:

1. Is 1GB of VRAM enough for the High res texture packs or 2GB is a must?
2. Using the High res packs, does better tessellation affects image quality and performance?

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

1.) 1GB is enough. The 2GB model is really only if you plan to have a multi-monitor setup or you plan to flash it to a 6970 (not 100% guaranteed to work). The differences you would see between the two memory amounts is marginal.

2.) I want to say no... tessellation is a DX11 feature that has to do with rendering polygons, and wouldn't have that much of a bearing on textures. Of course, I could be bastardizing my understandings, and might be completely wrong.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.