Sign in with
Your question

Problems with Blu-Ray drive.

Last response: in Systems
May 28, 2011 8:41:18 PM

I have never watched Blu-Rays on my laptop before (I have watched DVDs with no problem though), but recently I bought one just to see what the difference is between a DVD and a Blu-Ray.
I put it in and nothing happened. AutoPlay didn't didn't open, nothing.
I opened the Explorer and went to computer. It showed the drive but it said it was empty. I googled the problem and many said that there were some tools that were able to find it. (Examples: WinDVD, Corel PowerDVD) After restarting my computer, my Blu-Ray drive didn't show up anymore! (My DVD drive still did though). I tried to keep my hopes up and see if any of the tools the people recommended could magically find the drive, but to no avail.
My laptop is an HP Pavilion dv7-2010eg, and I googled it having problems with Blu-Rays. It seems to be an issue after upgrading to Win7, which I did. Many also suggesting getting HPs MediaSmart tool again as it was able to play Blu-Rays, and I tried that, but it didn't help either.
The drive doesn't show up in the Device Manager, nor does it in the BIOS.

So, please, fine people of Tom's Hardware, help!

More about : problems blu ray drive

May 28, 2011 10:02:23 PM

Quote:
Lightscribe Super Multi DVD Writer (+/-R +/-RW) with Double Layer support

According to the specifications of your laptop, you do not have a Blu-Ray Drive

-Wolf sends
m
l
May 28, 2011 10:25:38 PM

WTF?!
The guy at the store told me it had a Blu-Ray drive and it also shows up in explorer sometimes..
m
l
Related resources
May 29, 2011 1:19:17 AM

If there is no disc in the drive, you should be able to go into Explorer and see the empty drive. If it says BD-ROM or BD-RW, etc, as long as it starts with "BD," it's Blu-ray capable. Otherwise (if it says DVD-XX, etc) it's only a DVD drive, not capable of even knowing what a Blu-ray is.
m
l
May 29, 2011 1:27:31 AM

c0oim4n said:
If there is no disc in the drive, you should be able to go into Explorer and see the empty drive. If it says BD-ROM or BD-RW, etc, as long as it starts with "BD," it's Blu-ray capable. Otherwise (if it says DVD-XX, etc) it's only a DVD drive, not capable of even knowing what a Blu-ray is.

It always shows the DVD drive, but only sometimes shows both. It's the same physical disc though. Is it just some stupid tool that creates a virtual non-functioning drive or something? Makes me wonder.
m
l
May 29, 2011 10:12:26 PM

Do you have a virtual drive service (Daemon Tools, for example) installed? I'd check to see if you do, as most of them create virtual Blu-ray drives these days.
m
l
!