Nvidia VGA + Phenom II X4 B55 (unlocked) = incompatible?

Billage

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Hi I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out what may be causing the strange problem I'm having with this combination. First, here are some relevant specs

A-DATA DDR3 2x2gb 1600 ram
Phenom II x4 B55 (unlocked 555)
Gigabyte 560 ti SOC (950mhz core)
Asrock M30770~ mobo
Apevia 700W PSU (it's crap but comparable to at least a high end 550W)

The problem - When my BIOS recognizes my processor as a 'Phenom II X4 B55' rather than the standard 'Phenom II X2 555', my Nvidia drivers (255.68 and 266.66, two SEPERATE, WORKING, cards - not in SLI - one or the other was installed) fail during anything that is even slightly graphic intensive - basically anything that will put even a 1% load on the GPU.

Here is some troubleshooting I've done:

B55 with all 4 cores unlocked passed a 12 hour prime95. - Nvidia drivers fail

B55 with cores 3 and 4 disabled - Nvidia drivers fail.

Stock card (recognized as x2 555) the nvidia drivers work.

Can anyone tell me why on earth the Nvidia drivers would fail even if the 'unlocked' cores are disabled? They showed to be stable after a 12 hour 95prime so technically they should not be problematic to begin with - but for Nvidia drivers to fail even with the two new cores disabled baffles me. This indicates that my bios simply recognizing the CPU with a different name is causing the video card drivers to fail.

Anyone know why this could be? Any help is GREATLY appreciated, this is one of those odd problems that drives me insane because there is no readily available explanation.

jb6684

Distinguished
Try to simplify the problem.....

Go to Stock clocks, voltages, and multipliers on CPU, RAM, and GPU.....

Try to run 4 cores....

Remove the second video card from the system. (checking for too much draw on the PS.. you need ALL of that "550watt" JUST to run the 560Ti)
Uninstall the driver for that second video card (you didn't say what it was...)

Try to run 4 cores...

I'm assuming system ran fine with 4 cores using ONLY the old video card? Again, assuming that old video card doesn't draw much power?

If not try using Just the old video card and NO 560Ti

Try to run 4 cores....

Billage

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I figured my wording was horrendously confusing :(

I'm running a single card, only the brand new 560 ti

I unlock and run 4 cores stock. Stable. Video card drivers fail.

So, disable the unlocked cores, video card drivers fail.

Finally, turn off ACC, BIOS sees stock processor instead of unlocked processor, video card drivers work.

I'm really confused by this because if I disable the unlocked cores one would assume the video card will work the same as with the ACC turned off, but the drivers fail regardless of my settings when the CPU is called phenom II b55

Billage

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

I'm not doing anything that could destroy my computer, I'm being really careful. It's just one of those things like an itch in the back of your throat I gotta get the answer.

The reason I'm stuck on this problem is because.... yeah the processor works, but it can't keep up with my 560 ti SOC :'(