Sign in with
Your question
Solved

(Think i may have solved it, need confirmation)Computer won't start

Last response: in Systems
May 28, 2011 8:46:47 PM

Hey all, I just built a new computer with all my parts from Newegg and for the past two days it's worked perfectly... except this morning it crashed on me about 30 seconds after I started up The Witcher.

Corsair CX 500w PSU
ATI Radeon 6870 GPU
i5 Sandy Bridge 2500k 3.3 CPU
4gb ram: G.Skill DDR3-1222 PC3-10666.. 2gx2.. dual channel
1tb hard drive
regular dvd/rw drive

This mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The CPU and mobo were a combo.

I restarted it but while it was powering up, it suddenly turned off and tried starting itself again after two seconds. This cycle repeats: start up for 1 second, turn off, start up, turn off. In every start up phase, the fans start to turn and it sounds like things are being powered up, then abruptly halts.

I've tried a lot of things to find out where the problem lies. I tried each stick of RAM separately, no GPU, no HD or DVD, and nothing changed the problem. I don't know why I didn't try it in the first place but I took out both sticks of RAM and the computer actually turned on for about 10~ seconds, then turned off, and the cycle repeated.(edit: 10 seconds each time, no longer 1 second before restart) Not long enough to get a signal to the monitor.(also, I'm pretty sure it's not the GPU but I want to note that my monitor is DVI so I won't be able to test for a monitor signal if I don't have the graphics card inserted.)

I've also cleaned and replaced the thermal paste on the CPU just in case overheating was a problem, but that changed nothing.

I would be more than happy to provide any more information needed and I appreciate any help you can offer.

-Jordan

Edit: Relating to the above, some info is wrong. It turns out that when everything is the same as normal but there is no RAM in the system, the computer will start up and I can hear the Hard Drive trying to work for about 10 seconds, then the system turns off and repeats, for about 10 seconds each time. Even though my GPU is connected, no signal is being sent to my monitor. Any ideas?

Edit2: an addendum to the first edit, I am now trying just Motherboard/CPU/PSU and the same thing is happening. Starts for 10 seconds or so, turns off; rinse and repeat. I don't have a speaker so I can't hear beeps if there are any.
May 28, 2011 10:41:06 PM

I decided to breadboard using only the Mobo/CPU and PSU. The same thing happened. I swapped out the PSU for my older computer's and the same thing happened.

I'm assuming this means the motherboard or the CPU is dead? They came as a combo.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 28, 2011 11:08:36 PM

It is hard to say from here what your problem is. One piece of advice that I give to anyone who is bold enough to monkey with the innerds: when you want to make any contact with the mobo or cards (1) turn off the computer, (2) unplug it, (3) wait at least 10 seconds (preferably longer), ground yourself before touching any part (i.e. touch the case), and then you might be safe from frying your rig with static.

I, for one, would need a lot more info to be of good assistance. But keep asking and be patient. There are many good people here who will help.

BTW do you get any posting beeps from your rig when you turn it on. That is the most basic error message.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
May 28, 2011 11:09:01 PM

It is hard to say from here what your problem is. One piece of advice that I give to anyone who is bold enough to monkey with the innerds: when you want to make any contact with the mobo or cards (1) turn off the computer, (2) unplug it, (3) wait at least 10 seconds (preferably longer), ground yourself before touching any part (i.e. touch the case), and then you might be safe from frying your rig with static.

I, for one, would need a lot more info to be of good assistance. But keep asking and be patient. There are many good people here who will help.

BTW do you get any posting beeps from your rig when you turn it on. That is the most basic error message.
May 28, 2011 11:17:22 PM

Sadly I don't have a speaker for that so I can't tell if it's trying to beep at me or not :( 

This might make a little more sense:

-Breadboard CPU/PSU/Mobo-
-Cycle: On for 10 seconds, turn off for 1 second, on for 10 seconds

-Breadboard CPU/PSU/Mobo/RAM-
-Cycle: On for 3 seconds, turn off for 1 second, on for 3 seconds

Any combination of hardware without the RAM yields a 10 second cycle,
Any combination of hardware WITH RAM yields only a 3 second cycle.

I tested using two PSU's and got the same results.
m
l
May 28, 2011 11:50:52 PM

Well I am completely flabbergasted now.

My Motherboard(<a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...">Here</a>)

Has 4 ram slots(white/blue/white/blue, ddr3 4/3/2/1 respectively). I originally had been using slots 1/3, as it seemed normal to me. When testing single sticks of RAM, I only tried them in 1/3 as well.

Just now, I thought "what the hell" and tried the blue slots(4/2). One of my sticks of RAM seems to let the computer run indefinitely when sitting in the 4th socket. That stick of RAM doesn't work in any other sockets, and the other stick of RAM doesn't work in ANY of the 4. How ridiculous is this!

This is mind blowing for me, crazy yet also kinda fun figuring this out.

All contributions are appreciated!

Another update!!: Breadboarding 1 stick of RAM with the CPU/PSU/Mobo in ANY of the 4 slots lets it run indefinitely, while Breadboarding the OTHER stick of RAM it doesn't work in ANy of the 4 slots! So far it looks like my only problem is that one of my sticks of RAM is bad!

Even though it seems like this has been nipped in the bud, I'm going to one by one add other components and test them.
m
l
June 9, 2011 6:50:50 AM

Best answer selected by jjordizzle.
m
l
!