Gaming config for 1.7k($) please help?

My intended specs are Intel core i7 2600K, ASUS P8P67 PRO, ASUS GTX 580 , corsair ddr3 1600mhz 2x4 gb, western digital caviar black 1tb, cooler master 850 watts SMPS, cooler master HAF 932 case, Razer imperator mouse, razer goliathus mouse pad. What else do i need to make my computer a perfect gaming machine? I am an hardcore gamer and will play almost all the high end games. Will this config. last atleast 3 to 5 years so that i can play all the upcoming games? Do i need a cooler inside my computer, i am not much of an overclocker. I know i7 2600k will not have a advantage over i5 2500k in gaming now but is there any chance in future will it help gaming more than i5.I can not upgrade my pc for the next 4 years(except may be going for an sli of two 580's). Also please tell me the cost of these components in todays market, my budget is about 1.7K. Please forgive my bad english . Any type of advice is welcome?
8 answers Last reply
More about gaming config help
  1. stay with the i5 2500k
    asrock p67 extreme4 mobo
    2 6970 2gb get a factory oc'd one and it will be as fast as a gtx 580 for 100$ less also when in cf these cards scale pretty much the same as gtx 580s
    nzxt phantom (i dont like the haf series they are overpriced)
    this memory- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460&cm_re=8gb_spniper-_-20-231-460-_-Product
    psu- corsair hx 850
    ssd- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227729 there is also a 60gb version
    hdd- samsung spinpoint f3 1tb hard drive at amazon for 60$
    fill this in so i can help you even more- http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice
  2. mjmjpfaff said:
    stay with the i5 2500k
    asrock p67 extreme4 mobo
    2 6970 2gb get a factory oc'd one and it will be as fast as a gtx 580 for 100$ less also when in cf these cards scale pretty much the same as gtx 580s
    nzxt phantom (i dont like the haf series they are overpriced)
    this memory- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460&cm_re=8gb_spniper-_-20-231-460-_-Product
    psu- corsair hx 850
    ssd- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227729 there is also a 60gb version
    hdd- samsung spinpoint f3 1tb hard drive at amazon for 60$
    fill this in so i can help you even more- http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

    i plan to go for a single gpu now and buy a 2nd one later. i think a single gtx 580 is better than a single amd 6970, the crossfiring of two 6970s is above my budget.
  3. Anujith said:
    i plan to go for a single gpu now and buy a 2nd one later. i think a single gtx 580 is better than a single amd 6970, the crossfiring of two 6970s is above my budget.


    SLI'ing two 560 900MHz cards fits ya budget and its outdoes two 6970's at 1920 x 1200 ... also faster than a 580. At 2560 x 1600, Id get the 6970's tho.

    Guru3D uses the following games in their test suite, COD-MW, Bad Company 2, Dirt 2, Far Cry 2, Metro 2033, Dawn of Discovery, Crysis Warhead. Total fps (summing fps in each game @ 1920 x 1200) for the various options in parenthesis (single card / SL or CF) are tabulated below along with their cost in dollars per frame single card - CF or SLI:

    $210.00 560 Ti (455/792) $0.46 - $0.53 (Scaling = 174%)
    $315.00 6970 (526/825) $0.60 - $0.76 (Scaling = 157%)
    $220.00 560 Ti - 900 Mhz (495/862) $0.44 - $0.51 (Scaling = 174%)
    $500.00 580 (616/953) $0.81 - $1.05 (Scaling = 155%)


    Total $1632

    Case - $120 - Antec 902 V3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129097
    PSU - $110 - XFX 750 WBlack Edition PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003
    MoBo - $385 - ASUS P8P67 Pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.642515
    CPU - inc - Intel Core i5-2500K included w/ above
    Cooler - $40 - Scythe SCMG 2100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185142
    TIM - $5 - Shin Etsu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150080
    RAM - $75 - (2 x 4GB) Corsair CAS 9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145324
    GFX - $220 - EVGA GTX 560 Ti 900 Mhz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130651
    GFX - $220 - Same
    HD - $65 - Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 rpm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
    SSD - $300 - OCZ Vertex 3 2.5" 120GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706
    DVD Writer - $22 - Asus 24X DRW-24B3L w/ LS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135221
    OS - $100 - Win 7-64 Home Pre http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754


    Upgrade to the Z68 MoBo for $ 40 more ($425 total)

    $200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131729
    $225 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
  4. JackNaylorPE said:
    SLI'ing two 560 900MHz cards fits ya budget and its outdoes two 6970's at 1920 x 1200 ... also faster than a 580. At 2560 x 1600, Id get the 6970's tho.

    Guru3D uses the following games in their test suite, COD-MW, Bad Company 2, Dirt 2, Far Cry 2, Metro 2033, Dawn of Discovery, Crysis Warhead. Total fps (summing fps in each game @ 1920 x 1200) for the various options in parenthesis (single card / SL or CF) are tabulated below along with their cost in dollars per frame single card - CF or SLI:

    $210.00 560 Ti (455/792) $0.46 - $0.53 (Scaling = 174%)
    $315.00 6970 (526/825) $0.60 - $0.76 (Scaling = 157%)
    $220.00 560 Ti - 900 Mhz (495/862) $0.44 - $0.51 (Scaling = 174%)
    $500.00 580 (616/953) $0.81 - $1.05 (Scaling = 155%)


    Total $1632

    Case - $120 - Antec 902 V3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129097
    PSU - $110 - XFX 750 WBlack Edition PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003
    MoBo - $385 - ASUS P8P67 Pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.642515
    CPU - inc - Intel Core i5-2500K included w/ above
    Cooler - $40 - Scythe SCMG 2100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185142
    TIM - $5 - Shin Etsu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150080
    RAM - $75 - (2 x 4GB) Corsair CAS 9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145324
    GFX - $220 - EVGA GTX 560 Ti 900 Mhz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130651
    GFX - $220 - Same
    HD - $65 - Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 rpm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
    SSD - $300 - OCZ Vertex 3 2.5" 120GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706
    DVD Writer - $22 - Asus 24X DRW-24B3L w/ LS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135221
    OS - $100 - Win 7-64 Home Pre http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754


    Upgrade to the Z68 MoBo for $ 40 more ($425 total)

    $200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131729
    $225 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

    does ssd makes any difference in gaming, and about gpu, i would like to go for a single 580 now and sli it later if i sli two 560Ti now, then the option upgrading my gpu will be close infront of me because i will not make any huge upgrading in next 4 years or so. what is the advantage of z68 mobo over p67 mobos.
  5. The SSD will make level loading faster, but not really affect gameplay otherwise. It will, however, make everything else about your computer more enjoyable (boot time etc). As I understand it, Z68 will give you advantages with integrated graphics, which you don't use, so you might as well go P67. I wouldn't trust even an 800W with SLIed 580s...right, Jacknaylor?
  6. SSD will do little more than speed up loading screens. It will have no discernible in-game effect above a regular HDD. SSDs are also harder to manage, as you can't partition/defrag like a HDD without risking some kind of bug that'll make it a $300 paperweight. (Remember, it's new technology, and it's taken us a long time to make HDDs work so well)

    BUT

    Only a SSD can make your computer desktop/loading programs feel snappy & smooth. A HDD does not compare and instead you'll get the occasional hang-up while the drive spins.. Honestly it's a HUGE luxury if you can afford just a 32+gb SSD boot drive to make loading fast and then a HDD to hold the bulk of your data.

    at your 'budget' (you're throwing money into the trash above about $1000 dollars in my opinion) you won't regret making room for a small SSD boot drive, but may regret a large, pricey, buggy SSD containing all your random files & programs


    Also, you state that you're not an overclocker but are putting extra money in the -K series overclocking processors & the P67 processor overclocking-unlocked motherboards?

    Remember that Moores law dictates that processor technology will roughly double in speed every 2 years, and intel claims to be well on track to beat that. Don't waste money on *** that's going to be old in 2013. Budgets are meant to be beaten, so get what you'll use very well in the next 2 or 3 years without paying for more than you'll need.. because come 2013 whether it's i7 or i5 it'll be i-Oldshit.
  7. that same 560 ti is less at amazon because there is no shipping costs ive already pointed this out to you JackNaylorPE
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product