Sign in with
Your question

ATI Catalyst 11.2 ruined my 23" LCD!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 18, 2011 8:36:41 PM

Hi, just after installing ccc 11.2 and playing StarCraft II, a vertical blue thin line appeared on my screen which i just bough by the way (Samsung LED 23"), my vga is Radeon HD 5770......i dont know if its just a coincidence that this line appeared just after installing the new 11.2 Driver...and i dont know if drivers can really ruin monitors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
March 18, 2011 9:06:19 PM

no, the thin line appears in desktop even on booting or bios menu, not just games
m
l
March 18, 2011 9:11:04 PM

Could be a few things, but I would start by replacing the VGA or DVI cable (after double checking it is securely plugged in and screwed in).

If that doesn't help, then either the monitor or the GPU is faulty. I would probably hazard to say the monitor - and if it's new, you would definitely get an RMA for it. I'm not really sure how to trouble shoot it beyond plugging it into a different computer.

I suppose it could be the specific output. Maybe if you were to use HDMI instead of DVI (or whatever you're using) it would be fixed - but if the original cable wasn't the problem then that still would indicate a hardware issue specifically related to one output.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 18, 2011 9:50:32 PM

I think its my monitor..i tried to plug it with the onboard graphics and it showed the same problem, its just could the driver really ruin the monitor?!
m
l
March 18, 2011 9:54:00 PM

Change the resolution if its the monitor the line will not move.

A Driver cannot cause a stuck line of pixels.
m
l
March 18, 2011 10:21:41 PM

Now the ultimate test hook it up to another computer or video source such as a TV.

Yup thats not good. I had the same problem with a Dell monitor. Sold on Ebay bought a new one. Its the monitor circuit board thats going bad its not the pixels that are bad.

m
l
March 18, 2011 10:42:07 PM

Yep, hook the monitor up to another source and see.
Drivers CANNOT corrupt it permanently.
m
l
March 18, 2011 10:45:24 PM

Drivers cant corrupt a monitor at all. The Video card does the same thing it did before thats send a signal to the monitor and that can never hurt a monitor no matter what driver version your using.
m
l
March 19, 2011 2:20:43 AM

kaspro said:
the line appears even in the boot window, not just after the windows boots,

here's a photo of it!

Since the problem is occurring during text mode (BIOS POST Screens) and graphics mode (Windows Desktop, games, etc.) it indicates a monitor defect.

Time to RMA it if it's still under warranty.
m
l
March 19, 2011 2:24:32 AM

Just a nasty coinkidink.
m
l
March 19, 2011 4:01:41 AM

1) It's nearly definitely the monitor
2) The drivers had nothing to do with it.
m
l
March 19, 2011 4:09:32 AM

yeah take the monitor back and demand a replacement
m
l
March 19, 2011 12:53:19 PM

kaspro said:
I think its my monitor..i tried to plug it with the onboard graphics and it showed the same problem, its just could the driver really ruin the monitor?!

No, the driver cannot ruin the monitor. Period, end of story.
m
l
!