Solved

560 ti and pii X2 555

Hmm. Pretty sure my CPU isn't feeding my GPU info fast enough

am i right?


also - unlocked the cores and stable, but nvidia drivers fail anytime i load a game. Even if i have the two unlocked cores disabled the drivers fail - basically if my bios sees x4 b55 my nvidia drivers fail. No clue why


Basically, is my CPU able to keep up with my GPU? Got it at 3.8 ghz stable and 45C on full load.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. Best answer
    Most games would be fine, but some more modern games are definitely starting to rely on more CPU power so you could see some bottlenecks.

    But at 3.8ghz you're pretty good.

    Probably the best way to tell would be to mimic some reviews on the card in specific games and settings, and see if your FPS is right.

    As far as unlocking cores, have you tested stability with them? If they are completely stable (Prime95 for 6 hours for example) then I'd leave them unlocked.

    And as for the Nvidia drivers, sounds like something is probably corrupt. Maybe in the registry or it was a bad install or something. You should probably run Ccleaner to clean up the registry, maybe a Windows Clean Disk, and defrag just for certainty. Anyway then you should uninstall all your Nvidia drivers and PhysX, reboot, run Driver Sweeper to make sure it's completely removed everything (you can even run Ccleaner again here), and then reboot and reinstall the drivers.

    It's good to try to have as few drivers installed as possible. If your system had onboard video and it installed some ATI drivers for that, for example, then you should definitely remove them.
  2. wolfram23 said:
    Most games would be fine, but some more modern games are definitely starting to rely on more CPU power so you could see some bottlenecks.

    But at 3.8ghz you're pretty good.

    Probably the best way to tell would be to mimic some reviews on the card in specific games and settings, and see if your FPS is right.

    As far as unlocking cores, have you tested stability with them? If they are completely stable (Prime95 for 6 hours for example) then I'd leave them unlocked.

    And as for the Nvidia drivers, sounds like something is probably corrupt. Maybe in the registry or it was a bad install or something. You should probably run Ccleaner to clean up the registry, maybe a Windows Clean Disk, and defrag just for certainty. Anyway then you should uninstall all your Nvidia drivers and PhysX, reboot, run Driver Sweeper to make sure it's completely removed everything (you can even run Ccleaner again here), and then reboot and reinstall the drivers.

    It's good to try to have as few drivers installed as possible. If your system had onboard video and it installed some ATI drivers for that, for example, then you should definitely remove them.


    I think my problem may be that I'm playing Fallout: NV to test my video card.... ehhh bad idea probably. I don't have any of the games most often used for benchmarks. Can the AvP benchmark be downloaded for free?

    Anyway, thanks for the great advice! Is tweaknow cleaner on par with Ccleaner? I'll see what I can do about finding driver conflict, but the same problem occured with a previous gtx 460 that was in this. I even reinstalled windows and put the drivers on fresh (with the gtx460) and had the same problem. Simply does not want to work when the bios lists it as X4 B55. The CPU itself passed a 12 hour prime95 with all 4 cores being used. This is driving me insane because I know for a fact the two cores are stable, and yet I can't use them!
  3. Billage said:
    I think my problem may be that I'm playing Fallout: NV to test my video card.... ehhh bad idea probably. I don't have any of the games most often used for benchmarks. Can the AvP benchmark be downloaded for free?

    Anyway, thanks for the great advice! Is tweaknow cleaner on par with Ccleaner? I'll see what I can do about finding driver conflict, but the same problem occured with a previous gtx 460 that was in this. I even reinstalled windows and put the drivers on fresh (with the gtx460) and had the same problem. Simply does not want to work when the bios lists it as X4 B55. The CPU itself passed a 12 hour prime95 with all 4 cores being used. This is driving me insane because I know for a fact the two cores are stable, and yet I can't use them!


    Hmm to be honest I can't answer. I've never used tweaknow cleaner but if it's a registry cleaner then I'm sure it'll be fine. As for the X5 issue, again, I just don't know. Maybe you need to update your mobo chipset or BIOS or something?

    AvP bench is free, yes. You can download 3DMark 11, Vantage, and Unigene Heaven free as well.
  4. Best answer selected by billage.
  5. wolfram23 said:
    Hmm to be honest I can't answer. I've never used tweaknow cleaner but if it's a registry cleaner then I'm sure it'll be fine. As for the X5 issue, again, I just don't know. Maybe you need to update your mobo chipset or BIOS or something?

    AvP bench is free, yes. You can download 3DMark 11, Vantage, and Unigene Heaven free as well.



    Alright I'll DL the AvP benchmark and give that a shot.

    As for the drivers problem, my BIOS is the latest version. I still haven't done the registry stuff but Ill get on it later. I'm almost certain at this point that it's just a compatibility issue with the mobo. I have never seen this problem before, but Asrock caters pretty largely to AMD and this board enables core unlocking as well as crossfire, but is not SLI ready (though I'm pretty sure it can be used for SLI with some tweaking) so maybe in this particular case Nvidia just won't work with the B55.


    Oh well, gave you best answer, thank you!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Drivers CPUs Graphics