Sign in with
Your question

CPU running too hot?

Last response: in CPUs
August 24, 2011 4:51:24 AM

Hello,

I just got a new motherboard and CPU. CPU is AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, and the board is Foxconn A88GMV.

I installed it with the default heatsink that came with the CPU.

So I turned it on and went into the BIOS, and it says the CPU temperature is 40c. (I'm not over-clocking it, and no OS or anything is running.) So that seemed quite hot to me as a baseline temp.

Is this normal for that kind of setup? (It's not super hot in my apartment. I don't have a thermometer here, but I don't think it's hotter than around 25c (~77f) in here.)

Also, the motherboard came with an 8 pin 12v ATX power connector for the CPU, but my power supply only had one 4 pin connector, but I read that it should be ok to just use the 4 pin connector if you weren't gonna be doing extreme over-clocking or anything. Is this likely to be making the CPU run hotter?...

More about : cpu running hot

August 24, 2011 6:11:36 AM

henydiah said:
seem normal because in the bios, you must download Hwmonitor : http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html you will see your Temp

Hmmm...

So you mean it might not be showing the correct temperature?...

I haven't installed an OS yet. I'm just looking at where it displays it in the bios...
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 139 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2011 6:25:03 AM

temperature indicated by the bios is correct, but only just idle
m
l
August 24, 2011 6:50:07 AM

henydiah said:
temperature indicated by the bios is correct, but only just idle

So then 40c is a normal idle temp for this CPU (using the heat-sink that came with it)?
m
l
a c 139 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2011 6:52:05 AM

yep .. like that ussualy idle temp in bios 40 - 46 , it's will different if you see in windows use Hw monitor , you temp will up down up down
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2011 8:50:00 AM

With the stock cooler that sounds around normal but idle temps have little meaning especially if you don't know the room temp. I suggest don't worry about it now and check your load temps when the OS is installed.
m
l
!