Can motherboard cause shortcircuit to PSU

ys97209

Honorable
May 12, 2012
I recently built a new PC, although it was my first time actually building a pc for me, I have had plenty experiences from my uni course.

Gigabyte H61m-d2-b3
Powercool 850W Black 80+ Standard ATX

Above are the components in the questions.

So before putting them into the case I checked if everything was working, which went fine. I inserted them to the case, turned on the pc, and then all of sudden the computer went off. When I tried to power it up again only PSU made a single beep sound, and nothing was working. I first thought it was PSU, so I took everything out of the case connected it to a old power supply, then turned on the motherboard to check if it's working before I put them into the case again

BOOM

At first I didn't even realise what happened, until I smelt smoke. I literally stood still and thought to myself, did I die? It was that loud. Then I realised the old powersupply, which was powering up my old pc till about 10 minutes ago, had blew up.

My question is, could this have happened because my new mother board was faulty, and it somehow caused PSU to short circuit? Also what does it mean when PSU makes a beep sound? could this mean that this psu is short circuit protected and is making a warning noise?

Whatever happened, I wouldn't reuse your old ps again. You'll have to inspect the board for burnt marks. If you find any, I doubt gigabyte will replace it. I never heard of powercool; get an antec, corsair, pc power and cooling, ocz (my brand), enermax, or seasonic. All are good brands that properly rate their ps for load.

ys97209

Honorable
May 12, 2012

I sent in all my components to local pc shops to check on them. Hopefully none of them fried together with my old psu. I don't understand how this happened.

I really hope it happened just because of crappy motherboad. It was in fact the cheapest component among them.

ys97209

Honorable
May 12, 2012
i heard about cheap psu being bad, but it wasn't that cheap and also had 80+ certification. They dont' give it out to every single crappy psu, do they?

I thought psu with 80+ generally means a good psu

ys97209

Honorable
May 12, 2012

Thanks for the replies, everything is working now. For some reason cooling with the basic cooler given wasn't sufficient, it broke motherboard and blew my old psu

Got new mother board, all the components were still intact, connected with the powercool psu i mentioned earlier everything works fine:)