Thinkpad T20 died

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 29, 2005 2:45:14 PM

My T20 froze the other day and nothing would unfreeze it including the
power button. I let the battery run down and now it won't start at all,
the only the that happens when the power supply is connected is the
battery light comes on and the battery appears to be recharging. Other
than that, no fan or anything. Any suggestions on what may have happened
to it?

More about : thinkpad t20 died

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 29, 2005 11:03:03 PM

| My T20 froze the other day and nothing would unfreeze it
including the
| power button. I let the battery run down and now it won't start
at all,
| the only the that happens when the power supply is connected is
the
| battery light comes on and the battery appears to be recharging.

Well first of all: I you cannot unpower your device, for what
reasons ever, you can just remove the battery or push the power
button for more than three seconds. If your laptop does not power
on, first thing to do is to remove any power to the device. In
some cases you need to wait for one night. But normally after 5
minutes you can plug your power in and it should start. If this is
not the case you maybe want to read in your manual how to reset
the whole bios and such RAM. Dont forget to remove the backup
battery which holds the systems BIOS settings. If all fails you
will have to repair it..
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 29, 2005 11:03:04 PM

In article <4299f5cb$1@news.uni-rostock.de>,
"Krisztina Susza" <krisztina.sz@gmx.net> wrote:

> | My T20 froze the other day and nothing would unfreeze it
> including the
> | power button. I let the battery run down and now it won't start
> at all,
> | the only the that happens when the power supply is connected is
> the
> | battery light comes on and the battery appears to be recharging.
>
> Well first of all: I you cannot unpower your device, for what
> reasons ever, you can just remove the battery or push the power
> button for more than three seconds.

I pushed the power button for several seconds and nothing happened - it
wouldn't switch off, which I thought was really weird.

> If your laptop does not power
> on, first thing to do is to remove any power to the device. In
> some cases you need to wait for one night. But normally after 5
> minutes you can plug your power in and it should start.

Waited two nights - nothing, not even the fan. Just the battery light.

> If this is
> not the case you maybe want to read in your manual how to reset
> the whole bios and such RAM. Dont forget to remove the backup
> battery which holds the systems BIOS settings.

I will try this.

> If all fails you
> will have to repair it..

I was mainly wondering whether it was likely to be a cheap/easy to fix
problem or an expensive one in which cased I'll probably just get a new
one.

Thanks for the reply.
Related resources
May 29, 2005 11:03:05 PM

"TAP" <none@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> In article <4299f5cb$1@news.uni-rostock.de>,
> "Krisztina Susza" <krisztina.sz@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > | My T20 froze the other day and nothing would unfreeze it
> > including the
> > | power button. I let the battery run down and now it won't start
> > at all,
> > | the only the that happens when the power supply is connected is
> > the
> > | battery light comes on and the battery appears to be recharging.
> >
> > Well first of all: I you cannot unpower your device, for what
> > reasons ever, you can just remove the battery or push the power
> > button for more than three seconds.
>
> I pushed the power button for several seconds and nothing happened - it
> wouldn't switch off, which I thought was really weird.
>
> > If your laptop does not power
> > on, first thing to do is to remove any power to the device. In
> > some cases you need to wait for one night. But normally after 5
> > minutes you can plug your power in and it should start.
>
> Waited two nights - nothing, not even the fan. Just the battery light.
>

> > If this is
> > not the case you maybe want to read in your manual how to reset
> > the whole bios and such RAM. Dont forget to remove the backup
> > battery which holds the systems BIOS settings.
>
> I will try this.
>
> > If all fails you
> > will have to repair it..
>
> I was mainly wondering whether it was likely to be a cheap/easy to fix
> problem or an expensive one in which cased I'll probably just get a new
> one.
>
> Thanks for the reply.

Repost if you are going to replace the laptop. (with an email address,
disguise it so you're not spammed ie. joeblow at somewhere dot
com)
I am sure I am not alone - I am looking for laptops to tear apart and work
on. I would pay a reasonable parts fee + shipping.

someone2
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 4:38:36 AM

> My T20 froze the other day and nothing would unfreeze it including
the
> power button. I let the battery run down and now it won't start at
all,
> the only the that happens when the power supply is connected is the
> battery light comes on and the battery appears to be recharging.
Other
> than that, no fan or anything. Any suggestions on what may have
happened
> to it?

You might want to repost in the ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad newgroup also,
check out the forum at http://forum.thinkpads.com/

There are a of knowledgeable folks both groups.

There is a common affliction that with T20, T21 & T22 Thinkpads. The
T23 and higher models seem to have addressed the problem.

When you hit the Start button, 2 of the green lights flash and maybe
the FDD might click one if it's in the system, then nothing.

I've not heard of one of these models dying when it was running, they
just won't reboot.

The first recommendation is to replace the CMOS battery. It's the
round yellow disk mounted under the battery in the battery
compartment. It's held in place by black plastic bracket and a single
phillips head screw.

These sell for $15 to $25 USD which is a rip-off because they are just
a LiON watch battery with 2 wires attached and a plastic shrink wrap
cover (but don't try to make one yourself because the wires are welded
on in a special process that doesn't overheat the battery)

The 2 wires have a small white plug that connects under the case and
can be tough to insert without a small pair of tweezers.

Replacing the CMOS battery fixes the problem for some people, for
others, it's a system board replacement which can cost more than the
T20 is worth.

Look around in the groups listed above. You might find and easy
answer.

Good luck,

Chas.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 12:46:33 PM

In article <QpednR4nnqM5XwffRVn-vw@comcast.com>,
"* * Chas" <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote:

> "TAP" <none@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> >
> > My T20 froze the other day and nothing would unfreeze it including
> the
> > power button. I let the battery run down and now it won't start at
> all,
> > the only the that happens when the power supply is connected is the
> > battery light comes on and the battery appears to be recharging.
> Other
> > than that, no fan or anything. Any suggestions on what may have
> happened
> > to it?
>
> You might want to repost in the ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad newgroup also,
> check out the forum at http://forum.thinkpads.com/

Thanks!
!