Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need advice about selling old computer

Last response: in Systems
May 29, 2011 11:15:27 AM

I'm looking to upgrade to a new computer, and there isn't anything obvious I can do with my old computer (i.e. I don't need a second computer, no family etc. happen to need a computer).

I'm wondering if selling it is a viable option. I bought it as a pre-built from HP 2 years ago. Right now everything still works fine. I'm wanting to upgrade for PC gaming, but otherwise the computer is still very good (probably as good as computers I find at my uni).

How do you calculate a reasonable price? Do you take the original RPP, and -x% for each year? Or should I try to add up the parts, in terms of how much it would cost now to buy it?

What's a good way to sell a computer? Like does eBay work for this kind of thing? Or do people commonly sell parts to shops / swap meet shops? etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

specs:
HP Pavillion p6180a
Motherboard: MCP73M01H1 (Napa)
Memory: 4GB, PC2-6400 MB/sec
Graphics: nVidia GeForce GT120
Sound: Integrated Realtek ALC888S Audio
Networking: Integrated Realtek RTL8201CL
HDD: 750GB, Sata, 3.0Gb/sec, 7200 RPM
Optical: DVD+/-R/RW 16x 12x +/-DL LS 12x RAM SuperMulti SATA Drive
Card reader: 15-in-1 multimedia card reader
Case: mid-size ATX
Power supply: 300W
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200, 2.33GHz

Possibly include fairly decent keyboard (1.5 years old), crappy speakers (also 2 years old), and 19-inch acer widescreen
May 29, 2011 3:20:33 PM

I wouldn't sell it on e-bay, you can try listing it on Craigslist and see what happens. It's free, just use a different e-mail because you'll get a lot of spam.

It's hard to value a used PC but maybe $200-$300. Just make sure to wipe the drive because you definitely don't want old banking info lurking around on your old drives when selling them away.
May 29, 2011 10:31:37 PM

You can check prices of re-furbished computers at your local computer store and then set your price to about 80% of that of a similar computer.

Just as the previous poster stated, it should fetch $200 to $300. More if you still have your financial data on the HDD. :) 
Related resources

Best solution

May 30, 2011 12:09:49 AM

You really won't get anything worthwhile for a older used PC.

You might donate it to a school, or other organization. Salvation army perhaps.

The best option is to reuse what parts you can, and try to sell the other parts individually on e-bay.

Check completed auctions to see what similar parts actually sold for.
May 30, 2011 5:50:23 AM

+1 to geofelt....noone is gion to want to buy an old computer...or it would be hard to find one at best...fyi...never sell your hdds if you put banking info or anything like that....when you "wipe" the hdd there is still info on it...to the average person they would never know how to retrieve that info but hey the cops do it all the time when they seize computers
June 9, 2011 2:27:56 AM

Best answer selected by saintmagician.
!