Changing the core i3 to core i5???

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerade

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I have a question. I have the HP envy 14 with the Core I3 and I was wondering if it would be possible to replace the core i3 with the core i5

Northbridge Intel Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge rev. 02
Southbridge Intel HM55 rev. 05
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR3
Memory Size 4096 MBytes
Channels Dual, (Symmetric)
Memory Frequency 532.2 MHz (4:16)
CAS# latency (CL) 7.0
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 7
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 7
Cycle Time (tRAS) 20
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 86
Command Rate (CR) 1T
MCHBAR I/O Base address 0x0FED10000
MCHBAR I/O Size 4096
MCHBAR registers

Speed gains totally depend on your usage. While general day to day work won't show any significant benefits, games and other heavy duty applications such as 3D modelling/rendering, video encoding etc. will show significant improvement. I say all this keeping in assumption that you are talking about a quad core i5.

The Chipset that you have is the HM55, you most likely will be able to use the processors listed at http://ark.intel.com/products/chipsets/43181#compatibilityprocessors but understand because this is an OEM product they may not have enabled the board to support all of these processors. Best answer is to check with HP to see what the board will support.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Solution

Pretty much this. Most OEMs limit the motherboard in that way to keep people from upgrading and having to buy a whole new system. thats why custom builds are the best if you ever want to upgrade at a later point.

Status
Not open for further replies.