Is this Illegal?

STOPOT

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Hey,
I just bought a i5 2500k from ncix then the dropped this price this week. Its only been 1 week since purchase. I called a sales person and they said they won't match price difference. Isn't this illegal like 'bait-and-switch'? Thanks

jaenglish

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

I don't thinks so, computer part prices go down very quickly, especially CPUs and Gfx Cards.

Prices tend to change on a weekly basis, and the policy as to if there is a pricing grace period and how long it is is up to the retailer. If the price had changed the next day then you would be more likely to get something from them, but a week is long enough to expect something to have changed prices.

It definitely isnt bait and switch as that would involve you getting a different product than the price was stated for. Yes, computer part prices get cheaper overtime, get over it and dont look back.

jaenglish

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

Yes, one would be surprised at how short it takes for new parts to come out. Prices jump around a ton in gaming, especially with pc parts.

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
It is normal for a sale to be put on by the Company that makes a product. Then the date and time that sale ends is not revealed usually. That means if I don't get the item for that price, I will end up paying more if I wait too long.

As far as computer parts. I paid 1200 for the video cards. I expect those prices to drop when new cards come out in a month or so this year. It's just the way it is.

Now on the other extreme, the last motherboard I bought was at a absolutely rock bottom price. It's worth 450 dollars retail and I got it for 120. That very week it was retired or discontinued. Luckily the internet had forums dedicated to that board.

Also.... Parts availability.

If you build a system, try to find the very best and top rated hardware to carry you through for at least a year. I built a system when BFBC2 came out and found that socket 478's were on their way off the market permanently into history. So that CPU sits on the desk as a reminder of how obsolete things get. I am finishing a build for BF3 and I expect already prices to have fallen on some of the items that I have been purchasing.

I don't concern myself with pricing. Only availability now. Get it, buy it or lose it. Already a Silverstone fan enclosure was deactivated on Newegg a few days ago. I found a suitable replacement elsewhere, however it's not quite the same.

Even though the OP was obviously willing to pay the original price, it still behooves one to try and get a discount :). I recall buying a lawn tractor at Home Depot once, then seeing the same thing offered with a rear-bagger & dethatcher attachments that weekend. So I took my receipt and the ad with me, talked to the store manager (who wanted to keep me as a valued customer I guess), and walked out with $400 worth of bagger and dethatcher attachments for free :D.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Actually I had the same thing happening... the other way around!
I bought my E8400 for $189 from a retailer and a week later it was selling for $240!
The price never dropped below $220 until they were off the market... so, I got a good deal!

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Nope, that's called business, economies, or life. Take your pick. We have ALL been in that situation, if you are just now realizing this happens, discontinue your interest in computers because that is the game we play all the time.

Welcome to life...

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
STOPOT, there is nothing illegal about not having price-match guarantee.
but can you return it? if so then return then rebuy.

it's a pain for you and a pain for the store, but a totally legit way to get your price match. i've done it a couple times, returned then instant rebuy (at the same teller even).
if a store isn't willing to offer a price match policy that coincides their return policy then i feel no guilt taking them for a small runaround.

NCIX, newegg.ca and canadacomputers.com all state on their websites that no form of price protection is offered which means the price you pay is the price it was when you bought it, end of story. If you bought it from NCIX, that means that NCIX had the best price at the time and griping about it doesn't make sense. If you want price protection, go buy your computer bits at Wal-Mart or Future Shop and good luck to you if you do! :sol:

Bait-and-switch would mean either:
-they advertised one price, then charged you more when you actually clicked the BUY button, or
-they send you a different/lesser product when they ship it, claiming the product you bought is out of stock.
In this case neither would apply.

It is perfectly legal.

It would be illegal if they charged you more than the quoted price at the time you purchased the CPU, or if they switch the CPU for a lower end model.

Price drops happens all the time and is not limited to just electronics. There are no state or federal laws that requires a business to price match other stores or to price match recent purchases. Price matching is completely voluntary. If you only want to deal with stores that allows price matching, then you need to search for those types of stores.