Looking for some feedback on my a $500 general purpose/gaming PC Build

tailsnake

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: In about 2-3 weeks

Budget Range: I could realistically go up to $1000, but I'm looking for the most bang for my buck with everyday tasks and some gaming on the side

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Web browsing, Watching Movies/TV, Games

Parts Not Required: Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard, OS, Speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Anything Canadian w/ Free shipping (I'm using mainly CanadaComputers because they have 2 stores in the area that I can pick things up from which makes returns a lot easier but I'm open to NCIX, FactoryDirect, BestDirect, and DirectCanada)

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: I'd like to stick with Intel CPUs

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I'd like it to be as future proof as possible, I know I'll get bored and upgrade it at least a few times

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Parts I'm Considering:

Motherboard
ASRock H61M - $70

CPU
Intel Core i3-2100 (Dual Core 3.1 Ghz) - $115

GPU
Asus Branded Radeon HD 5770 - $110

Memory
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 - $35

Case
NZXT Gamma - $25

HDD
Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s -$45

CD/DVD
ASUS CD/DVD Drive - $25

PSU
Corsair Builder Series CX600 (600W) -$55

Total = $480

Solution
wow, nice job! That's a very capable system. In fact, the only change I would make for my personal machine would be the case. That case does not come with any fans, meaning you either need to buy a few fans, or grab a different case.
If you like the look, just get some pretty/shiny LED fans lol.

You've done your research, excellent build.

Have fun!

striker410

Distinguished
wow, nice job! That's a very capable system. In fact, the only change I would make for my personal machine would be the case. That case does not come with any fans, meaning you either need to buy a few fans, or grab a different case.
If you like the look, just get some pretty/shiny LED fans lol.

You've done your research, excellent build.

Have fun!

Solution

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
That's a pretty balanced build, but if you know you will be upgrading you might as well go for a p67 board now, along with a Power supply that will take you through any upgrades. That way, in the future the only parts you will throw (or resell) will be the CPU and GPU. Your upgrade path would then look like an Ivy Bridge CPU, New GPU(s), additional RAM, and an SSD.

tailsnake

Distinguished
May 29, 2011

The case seems to come with 1 fan based on the specs (and seems decently well ventilated), I was planning on running it like that for a while and seeing if heat is a problem before getting more fans.

I was looking into a P67 board, but they're easily triple the price of the H61 I'm considering, I might still hold out on that. I've updated the power supply in the build to a 600W one.