Cheapest computer

jastew1011

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
i was looking to making a large number of computers that are each under 100$. It also has to have passive cooling. Would mini-itx be the best option and could you recommend a build?

Solution
x86 is the archetecture of intel, amd. For simple tasks, ARM or PIC microprocessors can be used. You will have to do a bit of research to see if these will work for you and look into their implementation. Microchip forums would be a good place to start.

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Do you mean the PSU outside the box, or the whole thing outside in the elemernts? Cooling depends on workload, you may or may not have to underclock/undervolt the cpu to run completely passive. Maybe it would help to list your application...I'm having a hard time figuring out what you are trying to do here.

jastew1011

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
My intended purpose is to have computer run minor applications out doors all year round. I live in New York. It should have Ethernet and possibly serial communication ports. The whole computer and power supply will be outside.

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Does it have to be X86? Do you have source code? You could put something together for next to nothing with a PIC, if the apps are that simple. This could prob be battery powered at that point too.

jastew1011

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
I am currently pretty unexperienced in this subject, so i don't know what x86 or PIC mean. I hope to be running simple C## or labview programs and i will need ethernet and possibly serial ports. The battery power is unnecessary because i have to install electricity anyways. Thanks for your help and if a PIC would work please give me more information.

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
x86 is the archetecture of intel, amd. For simple tasks, ARM or PIC microprocessors can be used. You will have to do a bit of research to see if these will work for you and look into their implementation. Microchip forums would be a good place to start.

Solution