Asus HD 6950 DirectCU II BIOS flash to 6970

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3007

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Okay people, I have searched this for god knows how long..

Is it possible to flash (afaik Asus removed the dual-bios switch from their non-reference card) 6950 to 6970?

I have read that they aren't physically the same card, as Asus have made changes to the board etc. so flashing bios would do nothing good. Correct?

Anyone actually have tested this? Haven't even found a DirectCU II 6970 bios available anywhere..

This GPU would easily be the best of it class, if it only had dual-bios switch :pfff: well you can't have everything.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
If you had a reference card, you could just unlock the shaders. As shown in the chart, that only produces a minimal boost. Unlocking the shaders and clocking the card to 6970 speeds is the best. For you, a simple overclock, and the Asus 6950 DirectCU overclocks very well, will get you up near the same level of performance.
You get more benefit from simply overclocking your card, especially since Asus has such a great cooler on it.

perf.gif

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159

Of course, the BIOS flash without a bacup BIOS is extremely risky. Basically, if you guess wrong, that's it. Based on the info below, you are stuck with just overclocking.

Some info:
"One significant difference not included on the 6950 DirectCU II is the BIOS switch which would typically allow switching between two BIOSes in the event of a bad flash. Of course, we know this also allowed the 6950 to be flashed to a 6970, and with the improved power design on the DirectCU II, this would have been a perfect card for flashing. However, that's no longer possible here, as the BIOS switch is now gone and component changes have also been made. While the marketing folks would probably call this a "positive tradeoff" for improved durability and temperatures, we're willing to bet the real reason is AMD wasn't too pleased with the widespread ability to simply flash a 6950 to a 6970, thus poaching their own lineup and sales, and put a stop to it with the new models we now see. Since we've seen this change on other manufacturers' non-reference 6950 cards, we know this is not unique to ASUS."
http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1233&page=7

n3007

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
its better to just unlock the shaders rather than flash the complete 6970 BIOS as the memory of 6970 is higher clocked with more voltage than the 6950.
there have been some stability issues with flashing the complete BIOS.
there is a utility on techpowerup that will unlock shaders from your BIOS. use that to flash.

Yeah I thought something like that. So should I just stick with overclocking only and maybe try unlocking those locked shaders? Would you guys recommend it, how "risky business" is this unlocking exactly? Could something go horribly wrong?

I guess you completely ignored my post, which answered all of those questions?

To summarize: NO you cannot unlock the shaders on a Asus HD6950 DirectCU. YES, you must stick with overclocking as that is your only option.

n3007

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Well SORRY, but I actually did read your post. And you didn't answer all my questions.

It's the other post that confused me, which I quoted earlier. I thought there were *two kind* of bios flashing.. other being used to only unlock shaders AND the other one where one would replace the old bios with 6970 bios. So in the end it's same thing? You can't just unlock shaders and walk away with it?

***, my day is ruined then. Thought I finally found the perfect card :(

If you had a reference card, you could just unlock the shaders. As shown in the chart, that only produces a minimal boost. Unlocking the shaders and clocking the card to 6970 speeds is the best. For you, a simple overclock, and the Asus 6950 DirectCU overclocks very well, will get you up near the same level of performance.

Solution

discy

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
The DirectCU II 6950 should overclock to around 1100 core.

well mine certainly doesn't, I can only get to stable 850 or 900 with voltage mod just like this reviewer: http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1233&page=20

Some of the first cards had a 6970 GPU clocked down and used on the 6950.. so some of the first reviewers get better results.

However 1100? Could be possible if you're very lucky but I certainly wouldn't count on it..

as for the unlocking; I don't think it's possible.
It is very quite though; I think it kinda makes up for it :).

n3007

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
I ended up ordering Asus 6950 2GB reference model, it's just too good deal to pass when the price is also good (240€) Sure it wont run as cool or quiet as DirectCU II but it takes only 2 slots and is a bit shorter, which is important as my case is cramped Antec 300.

And of course keeping thumbs up for successful flashing to a 6970! That's what the dual-bios is for ;)

Thanks for the help guys!

DerMoor

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
I just wanna clear up everything I own a Asus Hd 6950 2gb DCUII and IT IS UNLOCKABLE....I have modded bios and works perfect....only problem is I cannot figure out how to mod the bios to allow a voltage change but My card is clocked at 925/1350 but I used to be able to be 950/1350 but If i go above 930 i have issues.

DerMoor

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
one thing though when I modded this bios i couldnt add any voltage modifications to it even the slightest increase and I blue screened....so the bios I have is just a 6950dcuII 2gb shader unlocked bios only....KEEP IN MIND I CAN NO LONGER ACHIEVE A CLOCK SPEED HIGHER THAN 925/1350 idk why...But i crash when I set it 950/1350 when I play crysis 2. or FURMARK

ALSO if anyone knows of a website I can upload the bios too so that I dont have to personally email everyone that'd be great. thanks

All in all this card is a beast...If anyone could help me modify the bios further to allow voltage increase then there is no way this card couldnt achieve a 1000+ core and a 1400+ memory.

PS i use smartdoctor ( mixed reviews i know) but I found that i can put my clock settings at 925/1350 voltage at 1.125 and i use 20% in amd overdrive In CCC with fans at 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.