Closed

Z68 and ivy bridge

Tags:
  • Gigabyte
  • Processors
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
May 12, 2012 9:21:11 PM

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z68-UD3H-B3 Motherboard, and a 2500k I used to have. I bought a 3570k to replace the older processor. Now it appears that to actually use the unlocked core features of this CPU, I need to actually have a x77 chipset. My motherboard is already flashed to the latest BIOS to support 22nm CPU's. I just want to know if this is actually the case in my situation.

It is not possible to adjust the Turbo Boost multipliers in the BIOS, and the Multiplier for the processor itself does not go higher than 38x. Adjusting the BCLK itself does not do anything whatsoever to the clock speeds of the processor on this board, it only seems to change the memory frequency strangely.

Any thoughts, or opinions?

Thanks. :) 

More about : z68 ivy bridge

a c 128 V Motherboard
May 12, 2012 10:00:58 PM

"it appears that to actually use the unlocked core features of this CPU, I need to actually have a x77 chipset"

This shouldn't be. Have you tried adjusting multiplier in the BIOS itself (not using TouchBIOS but by pressing DEL and going into the BIOS)?
Score
May 13, 2012 2:50:50 AM

Yes, I have. I just used TouchBIOS to take a screenshot to give potential answerer's a better idea of what I'm experiencing.

Adjusting the multiplier does nothing, because the maximum it goes to is 38x in my BIOS, which is 3.7Ghz - the original turbo boost clock speed at stock settings. Believe me, I tried to change it with the BCLK at 1050, and the multiplier at 38x. It should have been around 3.98Ghz or something near that, but even though when I checked the BCLK setting in TouchBIOS it confirmed that the BCLK was at the setting I specified. All it seemed to overclock was my Memory frequency. Even with the CPU monitor, my Clock speed was still measured at 3.7 Ghz under max load.

Thanks for your reply. :) 
Score
Related resources
a c 128 V Motherboard
May 13, 2012 2:52:56 AM

For some reason your cpu is not being seen as unlocked. I cannot fathom why.
Score
May 13, 2012 2:54:31 AM

I purchased this processor off of Ebay, it was literally a brand new 3570k that was never opened. The manual, the box and even the processor all specify the type of processor.
Score
a c 128 V Motherboard
May 13, 2012 2:56:03 AM

Well, the only way to tell is to plop that cpu into a z77 system and see what happens.
Score
May 13, 2012 2:59:35 AM

True, I was hoping to not have to come to that though, I'd rather not have to buy a new motherboard just to test it out.
Although I guess I can just RMA my current board if the return date isn't up yet to get a refund so I can buy a z77.
Score

Best solution

May 16, 2012 1:35:39 AM

I also have a Z68-UD3H-B3 mobo. Gigabyte screwed the pooch with their lazy hybrid BIOS approach. It looks like if you want to stick with your current motherboard, that we have to wait for an update.

More info here:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1917/
May 16, 2012 1:49:24 AM

Best answer selected by lolk.
Score
a c 329 V Motherboard
May 16, 2012 3:04:51 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!