Bootings (amongst other) Issues

G

Hello Everyone!

I've been having 3 primary issues with my new build PC and I thought I'd come to the pros to see if anyone could hint me into the direction of the issue. A big thanks in advance to any help I can get.

I recently bought a (nearly) whole new PC consisting of:

Processor: Intel i7-2600k
Graphics Card: Radeon HD5850.
Motherboard: P8P67 PRO Rev.3.1.
Memory: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4x2) 1600MHz.
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 600W.
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14.
Case: Cooler Master 690 II.

And a new copy of Windows 7 64-bit.

There is one thing I kept from my old PC, and that is the HDD. It's a really old one, about 4-5 years, with a max capacity of 120gb.

At the start everything ran "fine". The idle RAM usage was 3gb~ with Aero on and it would kick back to Basic to save RAM usage. I wasn't pleased about this, but I didn't mind too much to make a big deal out of it. The second problem was my mouse not working on start-up and having to re-plug it in everytime I started my pc. I was even able to look past this.

I overclocked the system to 4.8GHz running stable at idle temps of 30~ degrees and under max load while streaming it was on average 58~degrees, never going over 70.

Then fate struck after about 2 hours of gaming, temps still well below 70 I get BSOD'd. I reboot and it won't let me into the OS. I reset all my OC'd back to stock and it still won't let me back in. I formatted my pc again hoping to find the issue before deciding what my plan of action is. After the format I didn't overclock anything, just installed a few programs (Skype, spotify etc) and then the ASUS AI Suite II. This required me to reboot, and after the reboot it would again not let me into the OS unless I went into the BIOS and manually booted into my HDD. The problem of the Aero and Mouse still persisting after the format.

Huge wall of text I apologize for, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. I don't know the exact make of my HDD but if anyone feels like this will help I'll open my case up and post it.

My question is; What do you think is wrong with my PC? Is it the very old HDD not being able to cope with the incredibly new system, is it an OS issue of a new Windows 7? I'm at my wits end and hoping for any insight. Thanks a million everyone!

-Slate

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
Hello Everyone!

I've been having 3 primary issues with my new build PC and I thought I'd come to the pros to see if anyone could hint me into the direction of the issue. A big thanks in advance to any help I can get.

I recently bought a (nearly) whole new PC consisting of:

Processor: Intel i7-2600k
Graphics Card: Radeon HD5850.
Motherboard: P8P67 PRO Rev.3.1.
Memory: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4x2) 1600MHz.
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 600W.
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14.
Case: Cooler Master 690 II.

And a new copy of Windows 7 64-bit.

There is one thing I kept from my old PC, and that is the HDD. It's a really old one, about 4-5 years, with a max capacity of 120gb.

At the start everything ran "fine". The idle RAM usage was 3gb~ with Aero on and it would kick back to Basic to save RAM usage. I wasn't pleased about this, but I didn't mind too much to make a big deal out of it. The second problem was my mouse not working on start-up and having to re-plug it in everytime I started my pc. I was even able to look past this.

I overclocked the system to 4.8GHz running stable at idle temps of 30~ degrees and under max load while streaming it was on average 58~degrees, never going over 70.

Then fate struck after about 2 hours of gaming, temps still well below 70 I get BSOD'd. I reboot and it won't let me into the OS. I reset all my OC'd back to stock and it still won't let me back in. I formatted my pc again hoping to find the issue before deciding what my plan of action is. After the format I didn't overclock anything, just installed a few programs (Skype, spotify etc) and then the ASUS AI Suite II. This required me to reboot, and after the reboot it would again not let me into the OS unless I went into the BIOS and manually booted into my HDD. The problem of the Aero and Mouse still persisting after the format.

Huge wall of text I apologize for, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. I don't know the exact make of my HDD but if anyone feels like this will help I'll open my case up and post it.

My question is; What do you think is wrong with my PC? Is it the very old HDD not being able to cope with the incredibly new system, is it an OS issue of a new Windows 7? I'm at my wits end and hoping for any insight. Thanks a million everyone!

-Slate
When you listed your mobo you did not say whether it is the B3 revision of the P67 chip. If you have a pre B3 you may have a problem with the SATA2 ports.

But your problem doesn't sound like it originates with the HDD.

I had a problem with my first build of my current rig. The mobo didn't always pick up the mouse (trackball in my case), and I had to reboot sometimes for it to recognize the mouse. The issue with the mouse I chalked up to the USB interface not always recognizing the imput. When I upgraded my mobo this problem disappeared.

Are you still having problems? Does your rig crash after gaming for a period? Does the computer give you any error codes?