Would like to understand what Q-fan control is please

Status
Not open for further replies.

pintree3

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Hi

Usually do very little when it comes to doing stuff with my BIOS configuration but wanting to check out something I noticed something else.
in the Hardware manager tab the 'CPU Q-fan Control' was set to disabled
and the Chassis Q-fan control was also disabled.
These are the things the control the fan running on the CPU I would assume and thus seem important but the truth is I know absolutely nothing for sure as to what these are and if it is a good idea to enable them or not--to know the advantages/disadvantages if you will.
I also noticed that my Intel VT-d was disabled and wondered what that was as well.

Mainboard : Asus P7P55D-E LX
Bios : American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS ver. 1003
BIOS Build date: 05/24.10
Chipset : Intel P55
Processor : Intel Core i5 760 @ 2800MHz Support : Socket 1156 LGA
Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Monitor Type : ViewSonic VX2453 Series - 23 inches
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Device Audio : ASUSTeK Computer 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio
Device Audio : Micro-Star International EG JUNIPER XT Audio Device [Radeon HD 5700 Series]
SCSI Controller : Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller
Network Card : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Hard Disk : Seagate ST31000528AS ATA Device (1000GB)
Hard Disk : Western Digital WD1500HLFS-01G6U3 ATA Device (150GB)
Hard Disk : Western Digital WD15EARS-22Z5B1 ATA Device (1500GB)
CD-Rom Drive : LITE-ON LTR-52246S
DVD-Rom Drive : ATAPI iHAS324 B
DirectX : Version 11.00
Physical Memory : 12288MB

Thanks

Solution
My cpu fan turns at only 1500-2500 rpms, which keeps the cpu temp in the acceptable range of 40-65c. If you have at least one good case fan, then the airflow should be enough to keep your cpu in this range with a lower fan rpm setting. Some folks expect their cpu temp to stay in the 30's c range all the time. I've never even seen this in twenty years of building. Maybe you'll get lucky and get this result, but I've never had it. Use coretemp or the asus windows software to monitor temps if you're worried. And remember that sometimes any software isn't accurate, so don't panic if your readings seem too high.
You may enable all the items since your cpu supports them. Q-fan should keep the cpu fan noise down if you don't like the setting now. I use the "quiet" setting after calibrating the fan. But I have an amd board; Intel boards have similar settings.

pintree3

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Thanks for the info. If the CPU fan noise goes down wouldn't this mean it is going slower? and in so doing not cooling the cpu as well as it should? You said if I don't like the setting now. Truth be told I don't know what the setting is now nor would i know what criteria to use in if I like it or not--based on what since I know zilch? You also said, "I use the "quiet" setting after calibrating the fan" how does one calibrate a fan and under what circumstances would one want to do so?

thanks for accepting my ignorance

My cpu fan turns at only 1500-2500 rpms, which keeps the cpu temp in the acceptable range of 40-65c. If you have at least one good case fan, then the airflow should be enough to keep your cpu in this range with a lower fan rpm setting. Some folks expect their cpu temp to stay in the 30's c range all the time. I've never even seen this in twenty years of building. Maybe you'll get lucky and get this result, but I've never had it. Use coretemp or the asus windows software to monitor temps if you're worried. And remember that sometimes any software isn't accurate, so don't panic if your readings seem too high.

Solution

pintree3

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
o1die I truly thank you, u've been great. Using 'PC Wizard 2012' I was able to find out the following re: temperatures, some seem good, quite low and others quite high.
Only you would know how to read this.

<< Voltage, Temperature and Fans >>

> Hardware Monitoring : Winbond W83677HG-I

>> General Information
ISA Address : 0x290
Support : P7P55D-E LX

>> Sensor Information
Sensor : Winbond W83677HG-I
Mode : ISA
PECI Mode : Yes
Q-Fan/SmartFan Enabled : No

>> Chassis Information
Sensor Intrusion detected : No
ICH Intrusion detected : Yes

> Processor Voltage : 2.04 V
> VIN1 : 2.04 V
> +3.3V Voltage : 4.08 V
> +5V Voltage : 6.12 V
> +12V Voltage : 14.22 V
> VIN5 : 2.04 V
> VIN6 : 2.04 V
> CPUTIN : 39 °C
> AUXTIN : 84.5 °C
> CPUFANIN0 : 2058 rpm

> Hardware Monitoring : Asus ATK0110
> General Information
Support : P7P55D-E LX
> Processor Intel Core i5 : Sensor DTS
> Energy Power : 13.01 W
> Memory Controller :
> Rank #0 : 17 °C
> Rank #1 : 17 °C
> Rank #2 : 16 °C
> Rank #3 : 18 °C

> ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series : ATI Catalyst Driver
> General Information

> Temperature : 40 °C
> Fan : 1480 rpm
> Fan : 35.0%
> Hard Disk Monitoring : S.M.A.R.T
> Hard Disk WDC WD15EARS-22Z5B1 : 41 °C
> Hard Disk WDC WD1500HLFS-01G6U3 : 40 °C
> Hard Disk ST31000528AS : 42 °C

So, what do you think?

BTW should I enable, considering the above, the q-fan things?

Status
Not open for further replies.