Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

About to buy, could someone please review my build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 29, 2011 9:10:40 PM

Intel i5-2500k - $225
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock P67 - $160
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair 750W PSU - $110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec ATX Mid Case - $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) 1600 DDR3 - $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total: $610

Any substitutions or things I'm spending too much money on? I plenty of HDDs already, but I'm thinking of getting an SSD (recommendations? I'll be duel booting Win7 and Ubuntu). I have a mediocre GPU, but I'll upgrade that at a later date. I plan on running two cards so I can have 4 monitors.

Is there any benefit to having two 2GB sticks vs one 4GB stick? The single 4GB stick is cheaper and leaves more room to expand later.

More about : buy review build

May 29, 2011 9:17:53 PM

Other than not having dual channel until you get the second stick, have you got overclocking plans?
there are Z68 boards out Cheaper than that AsRock, and iirc theres an issue with AsRocks p67 plates with ssd's mixed with platter drives, **Edit** Can cause boot issues
Moto
m
0
l
May 29, 2011 9:41:08 PM

i have a p67 extreme4 and no boot issues with an ssd.
gpu's 6950 2gb
ssd- ocz agility 3 120gb
m
0
l
Related resources
May 29, 2011 9:44:38 PM

I thought the only real benefit of Z68 was the integrated graphics, which doesn't really effect me. The P67 boards are a tested technology, I'm a little weary about getting the Z68 with so few reviews.

And yeah, I plan on overcloking the chip. The P67 seems to get great results with the i5-2500k with some users claiming 4GHz or more.

Maybe just drop this heatsink on it?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
May 29, 2011 9:56:53 PM

asrock is rubbish go with asus or gigabyte seriously dont go any less

get 8gb (2x4gb) also - forget the "upgrade later" crap you end up with unmatched or weird ram combo's that just cause issues, do it right THE FIRST TIME
m
0
l
May 29, 2011 10:04:04 PM

no asrock isnt. i changed to a extreme4 board after my faulty p8p67 pro mobo. asrock is a part of asustech so saying an asrock board is rubbish is also saying an asus board is rubbish
m
0
l
May 29, 2011 10:06:34 PM

Totally agree with apache. Asrock is worth nothing but crap. Asus and Gigabyte are the most reliable out there. Then you got MSI and Asrock. I have never had any problems with Asus and Gigabyte boards, Asrock always ended with bad capacitors and now my brother has MSI board and he experiences random freezes. I must check what is causing them but my guess is mobo, because I already switched RAM and GPU.

Edit: Indeed, Asrock is a part of Asustech but it is built from cheaper components. Just like it is with Logitech and Labtec. Logitech is the best one out there and Labtec is rubbish. And by saying that Labtec is rubbish I say Logitech is rubbish? No.
m
0
l
May 29, 2011 10:22:16 PM

Been watching vids so late reply,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
better cooler cheaper too
And I also like AsRock boards, but thats getting into fanboi'ism which I dont like to do so I'll leave that argument to the others
graphics card, yes you could do that but its a case of disabling the old unwanted one in device manager everytime you want to solely use the new gaming one
Moto
Moto
m
0
l
May 29, 2011 10:23:12 PM

It depends on what card you have now. If you have AMD 6850 or better, in the meaning of the 6xxx series then you need only one card because it supports 4 screens or if you have hd5xxx series you can enable 3 screens on one card. If you have Nvidia card then I'm afraid even two cards won't work.
m
0
l
May 29, 2011 10:47:26 PM

Yes, it will be just fine. And I wanted to suggest you different RAM but I see it's not on newegg. I bought myself Kingston 2x2gb but I believe there is also 2x4gb 1600MHz cl7 limited edition which is cheaper than cl8 and cl9 versions of 1600mhz.

Edit: Here is Kingston 1600mhz cl9 for just 5bucks more than those G skill you wanted. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
May 29, 2011 10:49:22 PM

Yup, and you wont be upset with it :) 
invest in your rig and it will pay you back with loyalty, skimp on it, and it may bite you as thanks :p  (especially psu's lol)
Moto
m
0
l
May 29, 2011 10:56:50 PM

szymek said:
Yes, it will be just fine. And I wanted to suggest you different RAM but I see it's not on newegg. I bought myself Kingston 2x2gb but I believe there is also 2x4gb 1600MHz cl7 limited edition which is cheaper than cl8 and cl9 versions of 1600mhz.

Edit: Here is Kingston 1600mhz cl9 for just 5bucks more than those G skill you wanted. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Thanks.

What makes that Kingston ram superior to the G.Skill? All the specs look the same except for 1.65 voltage vs 1.5 voltage and the G.Skill has more/better reviews.

Edit: nvm, I see the kingston is 1600 and the gskill is 1333. I'll grab the kingston.

Thanks for the help everyone!
m
0
l
May 29, 2011 10:59:51 PM

I can't really judge Gskill as I've never had one. All I can say is that I've never had any problems with Kingston and their prices are quite good, too. And this G skill you pointed out is 1333mhz cl9 but well, it is 1.5v. I just thought it would be a better option to pay 5bucks more and get 1600mhz cl9 and don't care about the voltage.
m
0
l
May 29, 2011 11:31:15 PM

Isn't there something about the new Intel boards only supporting 1.5v ram?
Brains failing cause its late in the uk, but bells are ringing on that
Mot
m
0
l
May 29, 2011 11:33:10 PM

I'd buy 8 GB for $75...twice as much for $20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'd get the Illusion version of this case with the extra fans for $10 more....cant buy the fans for that price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU - The XFX core is a better PSU .... either that or the upgraded Corsair The TX750 V2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And I wouldn't get any MoBo that didn't offer an industry standard 3 year warranty. The Asus is $20 more but newegg picks up the cost difference with a a$20 discount buying this combo,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

m
0
l
May 29, 2011 11:36:06 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Isn't there something about the new Intel boards only supporting 1.5v ram?
Brains failing cause its late in the uk, but bells are ringing on that
Mot


http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-s...

Quote:
Sandy Bridge does not demand only 1.5v modules, it will be perfectly happy with 1.65v modules too. If someone tries to tell you that you must have 1.5v modules, then they are either trying to sell them to you, or they have been reading misinformation, or both! Another point to consider here, is that in your BIOS, if you head to the memory voltage setting, and enter 1.5v, the text will remain white/grey, if you enter 1.65v, it will turn yellow, and it isn't until 1.73v that it turns red, so at the moment, I'd rest assured that 1.65v modules are OK to use, and I have had this confirmed by Asus, Gigabyte and Corsair so far, as soon as I hear from anyone else, I will update this again.

m
0
l
May 29, 2011 11:46:47 PM

Thx for that Jack, I just didnt want Op buying a useless ram kit, cheers mate :) 
Moto
m
0
l
May 30, 2011 12:16:20 AM

szymek said:
Totally agree with apache. Asrock is worth nothing but crap. Asus and Gigabyte are the most reliable out there. Then you got MSI and Asrock. I have never had any problems with Asus and Gigabyte boards, Asrock always ended with bad capacitors and now my brother has MSI board and he experiences random freezes. I must check what is causing them but my guess is mobo, because I already switched RAM and GPU.

Edit: Indeed, Asrock is a part of Asustech but it is built from cheaper components. Just like it is with Logitech and Labtec. Logitech is the best one out there and Labtec is rubbish. And by saying that Labtec is rubbish I say Logitech is rubbish? No.

awesome. please explain why my p8p67 pro was faulty which i bought after ignoring bad reviews about its bootup on amazon because it is a "high quality" asus and my asrock with an ssd (no bootup problems) oc'd i5 2500k to 4.3ghz also no problems and my gtx 560 ti to 960mhz again doesnt have problems works so great since it is worth "crap"
m
0
l
May 30, 2011 10:57:14 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
I'd buy 8 GB for $75...twice as much for $20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'd get the Illusion version of this case with the extra fans for $10 more....cant buy the fans for that price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU - The XFX core is a better PSU .... either that or the upgraded Corsair The TX750 V2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And I wouldn't get any MoBo that didn't offer an industry standard 3 year warranty. The Asus is $20 more but newegg picks up the cost difference with a a$20 discount buying this combo,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...



I am curious, why do you think two bronze rated PSUs are better than the Corsair HX 750 which is one of the most efficient PSUs. Hardware Secrets said this:

Quote:
Corsair HX750W is an impressive power supply, being to this date one of the power supplies with the highest efficiency that we’ve tested to date, easily beating all other 750 W power supplies we’ve tested, including those also based on a DC-DC design on the secondary like Antec TruePower New.


The Corsair TX series is lower rated than the HX series.

Sorry, my mistake - I am tired. I thought the original PSU was the HX, it was not it was the TX. I agree with going with the newer TX upgrade you mention.
m
0
l
!