Sign in with
Your question

Asus P8H61-M Pro "cant find device" error

Last response: in Motherboards
May 12, 2012 11:48:14 PM

So my mobo gives a "can't find device" error on startup, blue screens on windows startup.

I can see everything connected and working on the bios, the boot hdd is connected (via sata) and I've tried changing to AHCI mode.

This is the hdd from my previous computer and so has windows installed.

Any help appreciated.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 157 V Motherboard
May 13, 2012 12:39:01 AM

What are the new parts (you say your HDD is from prior build - anything else from prior build) that you've placed in your computer?
May 13, 2012 12:45:46 AM

C12Friedman said:
What are the new parts (you say your HDD is from prior build - anything else from prior build) that you've placed in your computer?

An i5 2500, the two hdds are old, as is the gfx card radeon 5670. I have tried ever bios change I can think of but I'm still getting this blue screen flash as windows fails to boot. Maybe there's a way of stopping the blue screen skip so I can read it?
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 157 V Motherboard
May 13, 2012 1:05:30 AM

One possible issue is that when windows does it's original install, it sets up for specific hardware. A change in hardware will confuse the crap out of an existing windows install (some things like optical drives are okay to replace). In many cases a fresh new install is required (and even then windows will probably balk some). If you only have recovery disks and not the original install disks, you could be in for some tricky times here.
May 13, 2012 11:44:34 AM

C12Friedman said:
One possible issue is that when windows does it's original install, it sets up for specific hardware. A change in hardware will confuse the crap out of an existing windows install (some things like optical drives are okay to replace). In many cases a fresh new install is required (and even then windows will probably balk some). If you only have recovery disks and not the original install disks, you could be in for some tricky times here.

I see. Is there any way around this? as much as I'd like a fresh install i dont have the time right now, but i do need more processing power.

Assuming there isnt an alternative i do still have the original install disk, thank god.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 157 V Motherboard
May 13, 2012 12:35:12 PM

The best way I know of is through the use of a backup program called ShadowProtect (it isn't free though - big drawback). The advantage of that program is that it allows for hardware independent backup. The bad part here is you would have to restore your computer to it's old (working) form, install shadowprotect and then do a backup to restore from - after that it should be fairly straight forward.
Another way is to do secure erase (time consuming but it will remove windows' references to previous hardward) then windows install.
Unfortunately, there are no fast ways around that (that I am aware of).
May 13, 2012 2:18:53 PM

I like the idea of shadowprotect, but how exactly does that work? does the created image have to be burnt to disk or will the program find it on my hdd when i run it?
!