Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HP laptop - fan running all the time + CPU only at high sp..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 2:14:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...

Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering the CPU
speed,
and also why the fan is running all the time -
May 30, 2005 2:41:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In comp.sys.laptops Phil Schuman <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote:
: A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
: and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
: It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
: which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...

: Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering the CPU
: speed,
: and also why the fan is running all the time -

This is getting to be an FAQ on comp.sys.laptops.

Two common answers:

1. The heat sink/fan area around the CPU has gotten dirty and needs to
be cleaned out, so it can cool properly.

2. The laptop CPU is running near/at 100% load therefore causing the
CPU to get hot and thus the fan comes on automatically to cool it.
Could be spybot software or something like that or perhaps even
anti-virus software that is always scanning files. The laptop would
probably seem slow in this case, but you can verify by doing
CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up task manager to look at CPU utilization.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 8:07:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
news:cfyzcasdaxcdd82623029811@bizaveMYSHOES.com...
> In comp.sys.laptops Phil Schuman <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote:
> : A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
> : and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
> : It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
> : which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...
>
> : Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering the
CPU
> : speed,
> : and also why the fan is running all the time -
>
> This is getting to be an FAQ on comp.sys.laptops.
>
> Two common answers:
>
> 1. The heat sink/fan area around the CPU has gotten dirty and needs to
> be cleaned out, so it can cool properly.
>
> 2. The laptop CPU is running near/at 100% load therefore causing the
> CPU to get hot and thus the fan comes on automatically to cool it.
> Could be spybot software or something like that or perhaps even
> anti-virus software that is always scanning files. The laptop would
> probably seem slow in this case, but you can verify by doing
> CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up task manager to look at CPU utilization.
>
> Andrew
> --
well - neither one really applies in this case
#1 - task manager shows about 95% idle time
#2 - the CPU is running at 2.6Ghz all the time when checked via My Computer
(right click)
So - the real problem, is why the CPU is running flat out
even when the power scheme settings is Laptop -
http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/cpu.asp#cpupmgt
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 8:07:57 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Mon, 30 May 2005 04:07:56 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
<pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote:

>well - neither one really applies in this case
>#1 - task manager shows about 95% idle time
>#2 - the CPU is running at 2.6Ghz all the time when checked via My Computer
>(right click)
>So - the real problem, is why the CPU is running flat out
>even when the power scheme settings is Laptop -
>http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/cpu.asp#cpupmgt


It's got to be power management. Does the machines comes with its own
power management utility?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 8:07:57 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Phil Schuman wrote:
> "Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
> news:cfyzcasdaxcdd82623029811@bizaveMYSHOES.com...
>> In comp.sys.laptops Phil Schuman <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com>
>> wrote:
>>> A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
>>> and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
>>> It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
>>> which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...
>>
>>> Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering
>>> the CPU speed,
>>> and also why the fan is running all the time -
>>
>> This is getting to be an FAQ on comp.sys.laptops.
>>
>> Two common answers:
>>
>> 1. The heat sink/fan area around the CPU has gotten dirty and needs
>> to
>> be cleaned out, so it can cool properly.
>>
>> 2. The laptop CPU is running near/at 100% load therefore causing the
>> CPU to get hot and thus the fan comes on automatically to cool it.
>> Could be spybot software or something like that or perhaps even
>> anti-virus software that is always scanning files. The laptop would
>> probably seem slow in this case, but you can verify by doing
>> CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up task manager to look at CPU utilization.
>>
>> Andrew
>> --
> well - neither one really applies in this case
> #1 - task manager shows about 95% idle time
> #2 - the CPU is running at 2.6Ghz all the time when checked via My
> Computer (right click)
> So - the real problem, is why the CPU is running flat out
> even when the power scheme settings is Laptop -
> http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/cpu.asp#cpupmgt

The 2.6Ghz P4 845MP/MZ does not throttle CPU frequency for thermal
control - the CPU runs at 2.6Ghz always, but the clock steps in
increments to reduce effective throughput as dictated by the internal
thermal control circuitry. In addition, I have never seen a mobile P4
that runs cool enough that the fan is or can be stopped, but then I've
not seen all of them. The P4 CPU is simply terribly ineffiecient as
anyone with a P4/P4M furnace laptop can attest. FWIW, all P4s run with
clock stepping instead of CPU frequency (voltage) modulation for thermal
control.

Q
May 30, 2005 9:49:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In comp.sys.laptops Phil Schuman <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote:
: well - neither one really applies in this case
: #1 - task manager shows about 95% idle time
: #2 - the CPU is running at 2.6Ghz all the time when checked via My Computer
: (right click)

And it will always be shown running at 2.6GHZ on My Computer,
regardless of the Power Management settings.

: So - the real problem, is why the CPU is running flat out
: even when the power scheme settings is Laptop -
: http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/cpu.asp#cpupmgt

Doubt that's the real problem. My Toshiba 2GHZ Celeron has a fan that
only occasionally comes on when the computer is on A/C power and running at
full speed. Mine defaults to full CPU power when on A/C. Your HP
design could be different, but the CPU should run a lot cooler when
idling even at 2.6GHZ. Perhaps HP just leaves the fan on all the time?

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 11:36:31 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Quaoar wrote:

> Phil Schuman wrote:
>> "Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
>> news:cfyzcasdaxcdd82623029811@bizaveMYSHOES.com...
>>> In comp.sys.laptops Phil Schuman <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>> A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
>>>> and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
>>>> It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
>>>> which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...
>>>
>>>> Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering
>>>> the CPU speed,
>>>> and also why the fan is running all the time -
>>>
>>> This is getting to be an FAQ on comp.sys.laptops.
>>>
>>> Two common answers:
>>>
>>> 1. The heat sink/fan area around the CPU has gotten dirty and needs
>>> to
>>> be cleaned out, so it can cool properly.
>>>
>>> 2. The laptop CPU is running near/at 100% load therefore causing the
>>> CPU to get hot and thus the fan comes on automatically to cool it.
>>> Could be spybot software or something like that or perhaps even
>>> anti-virus software that is always scanning files. The laptop would
>>> probably seem slow in this case, but you can verify by doing
>>> CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up task manager to look at CPU utilization.
>>>
>>> Andrew
>>> --
>> well - neither one really applies in this case
>> #1 - task manager shows about 95% idle time
>> #2 - the CPU is running at 2.6Ghz all the time when checked via My
>> Computer (right click)
>> So - the real problem, is why the CPU is running flat out
>> even when the power scheme settings is Laptop -
>> http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/cpu.asp#cpupmgt
>
> The 2.6Ghz P4 845MP/MZ does not throttle CPU frequency for thermal
> control - the CPU runs at 2.6Ghz always, but the clock steps in
> increments to reduce effective throughput as dictated by the internal
> thermal control circuitry. In addition, I have never seen a mobile P4
> that runs cool enough that the fan is or can be stopped, but then I've
> not seen all of them. The P4 CPU is simply terribly ineffiecient as
> anyone with a P4/P4M furnace laptop can attest. FWIW, all P4s run with
> clock stepping instead of CPU frequency (voltage) modulation for thermal
> control.
>
> Q


you need an AMD processor if you want throttling ,baby!!

--redpill
May 30, 2005 4:03:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Phil Schuman wrote:
> A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
> and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
> It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
> which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...
>
> Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering the CPU
> speed,
> and also why the fan is running all the time -
>
>

I don't have anything faster than a 600 Celeron laptop, so YMMV.
I gave up trying to get laptop power management to work.
I always turn it off in the BIOS and the OS.
I run a program called CPU cooler that halts the processor periodically
when it's in the idle loop. Makes a significant reduction in
temperature. Even tho the monitor shows CPU usage at 100% it's mostly
executing the halt instruction...I think.

If you've got a better solution, by all means use it. For me, this has
worked better than letting the BIOS and OS fight over who has power control.

Now if I could just figger out how to get suspend to work reliably;-(
mike

--
Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
with links. Delete this sig when replying.
..
Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 4:24:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:03:56 -0700, mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:

>I don't have anything faster than a 600 Celeron laptop, so YMMV.
>I gave up trying to get laptop power management to work.
>I always turn it off in the BIOS and the OS.
>I run a program called CPU cooler that halts the processor periodically
>when it's in the idle loop. Makes a significant reduction in
>temperature. Even tho the monitor shows CPU usage at 100% it's mostly
>executing the halt instruction...I think.
>
>If you've got a better solution, by all means use it. For me, this has
>worked better than letting the BIOS and OS fight over who has power control.
>
>Now if I could just figger out how to get suspend to work reliably;-(


Sounds like u have a non-speedstep processor, the dang thing just runs
full throttle all the time, and the only fix is to use run one of
those utility like you have. Ur bios also probly have the ole APM
specification which never worked nicely, like Win3.x, it relies that
applications that are nice enough to call an idle process when they
are not doing anything, which of course most ignored.

Since yr 2000 or so, and Win2000 and XP, the next gen of power
management APCI does power management in hardware and no longer relies
on "nice" applications to slow down the processor as needed, coupled
with speed-steps.

So, give it up, time to upgrade that top <G>

I reload my laptop maybe once a month, else just suspend, wakes up
(almost) instantly, no wait to boot. It's a thing of beauty.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 7:28:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Mon, 30 May 2005 02:38:36 -0600
"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:

> In addition, I have never seen a mobile P4 that runs cool enough that the
> fan is or can be stopped, but then I've not seen all of them.

My Acer TravelMate 251 LC_DT has a 2.5GHz P4, and it only
occasionally switches its CPU fan on. The bottom of the
case is fairly warm, it's never hot even after several days
of uptime.

--
Stefaan
--
As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning,
and meaningful statements lose precision. -- Lotfi Zadeh
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 7:28:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 02:38:36 -0600
> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:
>
>> In addition, I have never seen a mobile P4 that runs cool enough
>> that the fan is or can be stopped, but then I've not seen all of
>> them.
>
> My Acer TravelMate 251 LC_DT has a 2.5GHz P4, and it only
> occasionally switches its CPU fan on. The bottom of the
> case is fairly warm, it's never hot even after several days
> of uptime.
>
> --
> Stefaan

Amazing. I'm surprised the CPU has not burned up.

Q
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 10:25:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Mon, 30 May 2005 09:57:40 -0600
"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:

> Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 May 2005 02:38:36 -0600
> > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:
> >
> >> In addition, I have never seen a mobile P4 that runs cool enough
> >> that the fan is or can be stopped, but then I've not seen all of
> >> them.
> >
> > My Acer TravelMate 251 LC_DT has a 2.5GHz P4, and it only
> > occasionally switches its CPU fan on. The bottom of the
> > case is fairly warm, it's never hot even after several days
> > of uptime.
> Amazing. I'm surprised the CPU has not burned up.

It has the air intake above the keyboard, and when idle,
the fan only kicks in every 10 minutes. Obviously, when
going flat-out, it comes on more often, but it's never
permanently on. It's a neat notebook (even though about
1.5 years old) that wasn't expensive for its specifications
(512MB RAM, 30GB disk, P4 2.5GHz, combined CD-RW/DVD-ROM
and 15" XVGA for 1098 Euro, bought Christmas 2003).

Take care,

--
Stefaan
--
As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning,
and meaningful statements lose precision. -- Lotfi Zadeh
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 1, 2005 6:19:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Phil Schuman wrote:
> A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
> and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
> It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
> which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...
>
> Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering the CPU
> speed,
> and also why the fan is running all the time -
>
>

Interesting. I have an HP Pavilion Notebook running at 1.6 GHz, and
have had two hard drives destroyed, probably due to heat. I finally got
a "cool pad" for the notebook. This plugs into a USB port, and has two
fans to help cool the notebook. I've heard good reviews. Apparently
overheating is fairly common with HP notebooks.

Cool pads can be obtained for anywhere from $20 to $100, depending on
the bells and whistles.
February 21, 2011 5:45:29 PM

You just have to disassemble the laptop completely, clean out the fan and exit port. It's worth re-pasting the heat sink onto the CPU with thermal paste. See the thread on the HP website. Use the disassembly pictures elsewhere on the web.

I just did this for an HP (Compaq) 6735s which is only 2 years old. There seems to be a design fault, so dust and grot get stuck in it. IMO it's impossible to clean without doing the whole job.
!