Your question

Two graphics cards - lucky me. But confused re which is better

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 19, 2011 7:14:51 PM

Hi,

Long and boring story, but somehow I have found myself with both a Sapphire 6850 Toxic 1GB and a Gigabyte GTX 460 1gb Overclock2.

And I'm not sure which is the more powerful card. I currently have the 460 installed and enjoy its low noise, but I'm interested in the card the delivers the best power basically. Both are factory overclocked! I have no patience for testing both, taking them out and losing screws, putting a cup of tea by the exposed innards of my PC, you try not to knock it over and the pc falls off the table..... so am hoping there is a kind soul who knows the answers.

Thanks!

Matt

For those few who are interested, this is a lesson for anyone who doesn't check the power requirements of the graphics card they've bought. The Toxic turned out to be too hefty for my 450w power supply, so went onto Ebay (where it remains.....err... check it out). The GTX 460 then turned out to need too many Amps on the 12v rail despite my 450w allegedly being sufficient. I had to fork out for a new power supply with enough Watts and Ampage and now have a choice of card. Lesson learned: cheap PSU's are sh*t!!

More about : graphics cards lucky confused

a c 177 U Graphics card
March 19, 2011 10:03:32 PM

can you tell us exactly what psu you had? did it blow up? or did you just not want to risk it?
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2011 10:22:05 PM

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/291?vs=313

...whoa. Apparently, both of your cards are basically the same at stock settings. Sometimes, the 460 kicks the crap out of the 6850, but in others the 6850 destroys the 460. Hmm...

Well, I'm at a loss right now as to which one is better. The 460 looks like it has a slightly higher overclock relative to what the 6850 has, but then again, the difference would barely make any difference...

I'd say it's basically up to whichever you like better, or whichever runs cooler or overclocks higher. Looks like you could basically flip a coin on this one in terms of power. :??: 
Related resources
March 19, 2011 10:30:09 PM

someguynamedmatt said:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/291?vs=313
I'd say it's basically up to whichever you like better, or whichever runs cooler or overclocks higher. Looks like you could basically flip a coin on this one in terms of power. :??: 

Or you could sell both and get a better one. Or replace one of them with the other and SLI/CF them (but you might need a PSU upgrade then).
March 20, 2011 1:23:35 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
can you tell us exactly what psu you had? did it blow up? or did you just not want to risk it?

I had a Win Power ATX-450 PSU, a cheap, no-name 450w power supply with 20A on the 12v, which costs only about £12 new now(!!). The 4850 Toxic required 500w of power minimum - I didn't check the amps. I tried it out, but once the drivers were installed and the PC reset then the WiFI stopped working, the colour scheme switched to a really bland one and although games ran well, everything took about 10mins to load up. Subsequent boots of the PC left it unable to load Windows as the hard drive wasn't being detected - no doubt due to it not receiving enough power.

With the GTX 460, which requires 24A on 12v, but only 450w minimum, the computer just didn't boot up at all once the cards drivers had installed. I just got a black screen.

In summary, I don't think you can damage your PC by trying a card that needs more power than you have - but there's really no point as either the card or other componants wont get enough power.
March 20, 2011 1:26:26 PM

Thanks your you advice everyone! Both cards do seem to be identical at stock values. I went for the Gigabyte GTX 460 just based on reviews. Its totally silent too, which is brilliant!
a c 177 U Graphics card
March 21, 2011 12:49:48 AM

2334954,6,844004 said:
In summary, I don't think you can damage your PC by trying a card that needs more power than you havequotemsg]
If anyone else reads this, dont go by that. Depending on the psu and its protection circuitry you can end up with a blown up psu which can in turn take out other components with voltage spikes.
March 21, 2011 7:36:22 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
2334954,6,844004 said:
In summary, I don't think you can damage your PC by trying a card that needs more power than you havequotemsg]
If anyone else reads this, dont go by that. Depending on the psu and its protection circuitry you can end up with a blown up psu which can in turn take out other components with voltage spikes.
said:

Aye, I should acknowledge that I'm no expert, am probably a bit reckless and have probably been lucky! But that was my experience. THankfully nothing bad happened.
!