Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

How to know if system can support gddr3 video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2011 8:12:32 PM

If there is the PCI Express 2.0 in your motherboard, it will support the card.
Score
0
a c 541 U Graphics card
March 19, 2011 8:25:53 PM

jsm17 said:
hi i want to buy a new video card but dont know if my system can support gddr3 card
how to know?

Please post the make and model number of the system (or the motherboard) and the make and model number of the discrete graphics card that you are considering.
Score
0
Related resources
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 19, 2011 8:37:08 PM

The ram on the video card is not important in knowing if it's compatible. It has no consequence. All that matters if if you have the right slot for it to plug into, and your PSU can power it.
Score
0
a c 171 U Graphics card
March 19, 2011 9:53:16 PM

look at the box the card is packaged in. they always tell you the system requirements. It should say something like:

Requirements: PCIe 16x slot required, pentium4 or greater, 1gb ram or greater, 400w PSU etc. etc.

So look at the box or look the card up on the manufacturers web site and it will tell you everything you need to know.
Score
0
March 20, 2011 11:48:33 AM


motherboard is
Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD MS-7529 1.0
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V1.1B5 05/06/2009

the graphics card i want to buy is
nvidia gt220 512 mb gddr3

also how much can i expect the performance to increase with gddr3 over ddr2 and if it is worth the price difference?

Score
0
a c 541 U Graphics card
March 20, 2011 4:49:05 PM

jsm17 said:
motherboard is
Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD MS-7529 1.0
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V1.1B5 05/06/2009

the graphics card i want to buy is
nvidia gt220 512 mb gddr3

also how much can i expect the performance to increase with gddr3 over ddr2 and if it is worth the price difference?

The motherboard has a PCI Express 1.1 x16 slot.

The GeForce GT 220 is a PCI-E 2.0 card.

PCI-E 2.0 cards are fully backward compatible with the PCI-E 1.1 x16 slot on your motherboard so you won't have a problem there.

GDDR3 has a higher bandwidth than GDDR2. In general it is always preferable to go with GDDR3 over GDDR2.

You haven't given enough information to base a performance difference on. You would need to provide the brand and model number of each graphics card you are comparing. What display resolution are you using?
Score
0
a c 171 U Graphics card
March 20, 2011 8:36:30 PM

a gt220 is not a gaming card. a better alternative for a similar price is an ATI HD5570.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 541 U Graphics card
March 20, 2011 8:46:29 PM

jsm17 said:
@ko888
thanks man

i will be gaming at 1024*768 on 17" lcd

the cards that i am looking at are
www.msi.com/product/vga/N220GT-MD512D3-LP.html#/?div=Sp...

www.msi.com/product/vga/N220GT-MD512.html#/?div=Specifi...

both are msi gt220
one is gddr2 512mb and the other one is ddr3 512mb

i noticed that gddr2 has 128 bit memory interface and
the ddr3 is not actually gddr3 but ddr3 and has 64 bit memory interface

which one would be better

The N220GT-MD512 with 810 MHz GDDR2 is better mainly because of the 128-bit memory interface. Theoretically it has 68.75% more memory bandwidth than the 960 MHz DDR3 version with the 64-bit Memory Interface.

810 MHz GDDR2 with 128-bit memory interface = 25.9 GB/s

960 MHz DDR3 with 64-bit Memory Interface = 15.4 GB/s
Share
March 21, 2011 11:29:12 AM

@ ko888
again thanks mate

i just noticed another problem with my computer
the rating of my psu is like this
250w
+12v2 10a(yel)
+12v1 6a(yel/blk)

i know the rating of gt220 is at 300w

so i was wondering if i could take a risk with my current psu due to a low difference of ratings
or do i have to buy a new psu
Score
0
a c 541 U Graphics card
March 21, 2011 4:45:26 PM

jsm17 said:
@ ko888
again thanks mate

i just noticed another problem with my computer
the rating of my psu is like this
250w
+12v2 10a(yel)
+12v1 6a(yel/blk)

i know the rating of gt220 is at 300w

so i was wondering if i could take a risk with my current psu due to a low difference of ratings
or do i have to buy a new psu

A reference version GeForce GT 220 has a Maximum Graphics Card Power draw of 58 Watts (4.83 Amps) from the +12 Volt rails.

The 300 Watt rating that you are referencing is the recommended power supply wattage for the complete system that includes the CPU, motherboard chipsets, RAM, hard disk drives, CD/DVD drives, cooling fans, expansion cards, etc.

What is the actual brand and model number of the power supply unit? Please post the brand and model number shown on the label affixed to the power supply unit.

If it's in a pre-built consumer PC like an Acer or Dell or Gateway or HP/Compaq or ... please post the complete make and model number of the computer.
Score
0
March 22, 2011 3:32:20 AM

@ ko888
i had bought this pre built acer cpu for my desktop
the model that my computer says it is is

Acer AcerPower Series 1.0

though on the cpu the label is of acer aspire

i dont know if they are the same

my system specs are
2.60 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core e5300
2*1gb ddr2 403mhz ram
320gb hard disk

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH40F ATA Device [Optical drive]

lol is this information enough cos i think i threw the box of my cpu
Score
0
a c 541 U Graphics card
March 22, 2011 4:44:30 AM

There should be a label affixed to the computer case that shows the model number and serial number of your system.

An example of an Acer Aspire model number is: M1641-U1521A

It is very difficult to determine if the power supply is able to provide sufficient power.

My guess is that it should be sufficient but you may be close to the power supply's limit for the combined +12 Volt rails.

You haven't specified if the label affixed to the power supply reports the maximum wattage for the combined +12 Volt rails so I can only guess that it may be enough.
Score
0
March 22, 2011 9:31:21 AM

lol there is something to learn about graphics cards everyday
i just read somewhere on the internet that ati's power consumption of its cards is overrated
i know that ati recommends a psu of 400w for hd 4650 and hd 4750
but what is their actual power requirement any chance they would work on my 250w psu
cos earlier i was thinking of buying one of these cards but due to their high power requirements
i decided to go with gt220 instead
also does any of these cards come with a separate power connection that is not with the psu

thanks guys for all the help :) 
Score
0
a c 541 U Graphics card
March 22, 2011 7:41:32 PM

jsm17 said:
lol there is something to learn about graphics cards everyday
i just read somewhere on the internet that ati's power consumption of its cards is overrated
i know that ati recommends a psu of 400w for hd 4650 and hd 4750
but what is their actual power requirement any chance they would work on my 250w psu
cos earlier i was thinking of buying one of these cards but due to their high power requirements
i decided to go with gt220 instead
also does any of these cards come with a separate power connection that is not with the psu

thanks guys for all the help :) 

The Radeon HD 4650 has a Maximum board power of 48 Watts.

The Radeon HD 4750 has a Maximum board power of 75 Watts.

The Radeon HD 5570 has a Maximum board power of 39 Watts. Get this one with GDDR5 memory.
Score
0
April 4, 2011 2:27:47 PM

Best answer selected by jsm17.
Score
0
January 9, 2012 10:34:23 AM

ECS G41T-R3

INTEL CORE 2 QUAD CPU Q8200 @2.33GHZ

2 GB OF MEMORY

BIOSTAR GT 220 1GB DDR3

160HDD

WIN XP 32BIT

300W

but i have a problem my graphic card has only 24 cuda cores insted of 48 and the texture fillrate is only 5 Gtexels any idea ?
Score
0
!