1156 board suggestions

xandermac05

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I was planning on snagging an ASUS Maximus III Formula, but well... this happened: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270970899589 so apparently I'm not getting that any more.

Scan.co.uk have the mATX version listed, but not in stock (it's a "pre-order" apparently, which I'm guessing just means "out of stock" since it isn't a new product). Otherwise? Stuck. Can't really find much in the way of 1156 boards, especially since I have a near-zero budget. I need to run SLI on an i3-540 (planning to overclock); I'm not really sure where to look.

I apologise for the lack of info here, but basically I'm out of ideas... help?

EDIT: I might be able to grab an ASUS P7P55D Premium for about £90. Alternatively, I've found a Gigabyte P55-UD4 for £50 but the seller isn't keen to post it so that might not be an option. Preference between these two boards and/or other ideas are very much welcome.

If you already have a working 1156 board, I would continue to use it or sell your board/cpu and upgrade to 1155. Don't invest in old tech; those 1156 boards are disappearing almost as fast as the old socket 939 amd boards. I use anandtech or craigslist to sell my old stuff. They're free.

xandermac05

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I have a working board, but it's absolute crap: it's overclock locked, so I can't change any voltages or speeds whatsoever (except to reduce the RAM speed). I'm upgrading to SLI and want to OC my 1156; I can't afford a new board AND a new CPU.

I decided to just go for the P7P55D Premium since I want something sorted out pretty fast. I'm not really fussed about USB3 or SATA3 yet; I'll likely add the latter with a PCI adapter at some point. Turns out the UD4 was already sold - the seller just didn't take the listing down - whilst the Maximus III was temporarily removed because its seller can't post it "for a while".

Thanks for your reply, nonetheless!