Gaming desktop for $4000

This is a repost, but my earlier post had some ill-conceived parts. This time, I would really appreciate any help in putting together a whole rig. I am leaning towards the following parts: Sandybridge 2600k, Corsair Obsidian 800D case, 2 X GTX 580 (SLI'd)

Approximate Purchase Date: Mid-June

Budget Range: $4000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, photo processing, coding

Parts Not Required: Completely new system, input is welcome on everything.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Whatever's cheapest

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: Only preference is high quality stuff!

Overclocking: Open to the possibility (noise is a -)

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 2560 X 1600

Additional Comments: While performance is the first criteria, quiet would be awesome too (and I know there's tension between the two), tips on keeping the noise down would be helpful.
20 answers Last reply
More about gaming desktop 4000
  1. what do you mean ill conceived parts
  2. brpeden82 said:
    what do you mean ill conceived parts


    The primary blunder was the 990x processor (significantly more expensive for perhaps worse gaming performance).
  3. kool does that 4000 include monitor
  4. brpeden82 said:
    kool does that 4000 include monitor


    Nope, planning on two U3011's outside this budget.
  5. This build includes Three 3GB GTX 580 240GB SSD 2TB HDD and I7 2600k


    Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139001

    Western Digital Caviar Black WDBAAZ0020HNC-NRSN 2TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136830

    3 EVGA 03G-P3-1584-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3072MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130655

    CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139014

    G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460

    ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION LGA 1155 Intel P67 / NVIDIA NF200 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131714

    Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

    SONY Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 8X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner BWU-500S
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118049

    OCZ Vertex 3 V3LT-25SAT3-240G.oem 2.5" 240GB SATA III - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227730

    Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185142&Tpk=scmg

    Total
    3,870.01
  6. brpeden82 said:
    This build includes Three 3GB GTX 580 240GB SSD 2TB HDD and I7 2600k


    Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139001

    Western Digital Caviar Black WDBAAZ0020HNC-NRSN 2TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136830

    3 EVGA 03G-P3-1584-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3072MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130655

    CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139014

    G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460

    ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION LGA 1155 Intel P67 / NVIDIA NF200 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131714

    Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

    SONY Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 8X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner BWU-500S
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118049

    OCZ Vertex 3 V3LT-25SAT3-240G.oem 2.5" 240GB SATA III - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227730

    Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185142&Tpk=scmg

    Total
    3,870.01


    Nice build. Can't wait to see what other people have to say about this one. However, I think 3 X 580's are a bit overkill, especially with the amount of memory (9 gb!). I forgot to mention that I am planning on the z 5500 logitech speakers, a nice keyboard (TBD), and a coolling system like the H70.
  7. Well, you've got (prices from Newegg.com):

    CPU - i7 2600k - $315
    Case - Obsidian 800D - $280+$20 ship - $300

    The only graphics grand I see that I'd recommend for the 580 is EVGA, so
    Graphics - GTX 580 (2) - $465 x 2 - $930
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130587

    Total budget - $4000
    - 3 items ----- $1545
    ---------------------------
    Remainder --- $2455

    So first things first, a motherboard. There are 3 chipsets, H67 P67 and Z68. H drops one thing, P drops another, Z keeps them both. Tom's 2011 Z68 roundup recommends:

    ASRock Z68 Extreme4 - $190+8.50(shipping) - $198.49
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157250&Tpk=Asrock%20z68%20extreme4
    Sold out on newegg as of posting, but I'm sure that won't stop you from finding another venue.

    Next: RAM. 4GB sticks don't come in CAS 6, but they do come in CAS 7.
    G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) - $135
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231431

    The final item i will recommend is for the SSD:
    OCZ RevoDrive X2 240gb - $520
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227661&cm_re=revodrive_x2_240gb-_-20-227-661-_-Product

    The fastest SSD at this time (740mb/s read, 720mb/s write) for $2.17/gb. Throw on your OS and games onto this, and wham: fast computer.

    --
    Remainder ----- $2455.00
    SSD-M-Mobo - - $853.49
    -----------------------------
    Remaining ----- $1601.51 for the PSU, Fans, Optical (DVD/BR drive), et cetera.


    **Edit** If you take the build the other guy had, and add the missing parts from his list that I didn't put in:

    PSU, Blue ray, HDD, Fan
    Total Parts: $630.21

    Remaining --- $1601.51
    -Missing Parts -$630.21
    ---------------------------
    Remaining budget $971.30

    You could throw in another set of RAM to bring it to 16GB, a lovely sound card, maybe do water cooling if you so chose.
  8. MasterMace said:
    Well, you've got (prices from Newegg.com):

    CPU - i7 2600k - $315
    Case - Obsidian 800D - $280+$20 ship - $300

    The only graphics grand I see that I'd recommend for the 580 is EVGA, so
    Graphics - GTX 580 (2) - $465 x 2 - $930
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130587

    Total budget - $4000
    - 3 items ----- $1545
    ---------------------------
    Remainder --- $2455

    So first things first, a motherboard. There are 3 chipsets, H67 P67 and Z68. H drops one thing, P drops another, Z keeps them both. Tom's 2011 Z68 roundup recommends:

    ASRock Z68 Extreme4 - $190+8.50(shipping) - $198.49
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157250&Tpk=Asrock%20z68%20extreme4
    Sold out on newegg as of posting, but I'm sure that won't stop you from finding another venue.

    Next: RAM. 4GB sticks don't come in CAS 6, but they do come in CAS 7.
    G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) - $135
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231431

    The final item i will recommend is for the SSD:
    OCZ RevoDrive X2 240gb - $520
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227661&cm_re=revodrive_x2_240gb-_-20-227-661-_-Product

    The fastest SSD at this time (740mb/s read, 720mb/s write) for $2.17/gb. Throw on your OS and games onto this, and wham: fast computer.

    --
    Remainder ----- $2455.00
    SSD-M-Mobo - - $853.49
    -----------------------------
    Remaining ----- $1601.51 for the PSU, Fans, Optical (DVD/BR drive), et cetera.


    **Edit** If you take the build the other guy had, and add the missing parts from his list that I didn't put in:

    PSU, Blue ray, HDD, Fan
    Total Parts: $630.21

    Remaining --- $1601.51
    -Missing Parts -$630.21
    ---------------------------
    Remaining budget $971.30

    You could throw in another set of RAM to bring it to 16GB, a lovely sound card, maybe do water cooling if you so chose.


    Wow, really appreciate the time in doing this. Yes, a sound card and perhaps a high end NIC will be in order. I'm sure regardless of whatever budget is remaining, I will have no problem finding ways to spend. I would probably go with 12 gb of memory. Do you have any recommendation on 3 X 4 gb vs. 2 X 6 gb?
  9. High end NIC's are not worth the money. Every review of the Killer NIC's pretty much say just use the integrated card, and save the $100. Also, with the Z68 boards, just go with 16GB of RAM (4X4GB). The X58 is the only chipset designed to run 12GB easily since it uses triple-channel RAM.
  10. runswindows95 said:
    High end NIC's are not worth the money. Every review of the Killer NIC's pretty much say just use the integrated card, and save the $100. Also, with the Z68 boards, just go with 16GB of RAM (4X4GB). The X58 is the only chipset designed to run 12GB easily since it uses triple-channel RAM.


    Good information, that sounds good to me. Any particular 4 GB card (Ripjaw's were previously mentioned) / Z68 mobo (ASRock Z68 Extreme4 was previously mentioned) you would recommend?
  11. cpu 315$- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070&cm_re=i7_2600k-_-19-115-070-_-Product
    mobo 195$- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131704&Tpk=p8p67%20evo
    case 264$ shipped- http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CC800DW-Obsidian-Aluminum-Enthusiast/dp/B002JLAU58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306731787&sr=8-1
    ssd 520$- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227661&cm_re=revodrive_x2_240gb-_-20-227-661-_-Product&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=196uqgi9az0yg
    psu 210$- http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-Certified-Modular-CMPSU-1000HX/dp/B00154QAXQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1306731966&sr=1-1
    memory 175$- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231309&cm_re=1.5v_16gb-_-20-231-309-_-Product
    hdd 120$- http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002MQC0P8/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1306732423&sr=1-2&condition=new x2
    blu ray burner 100$- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118050&cm_re=blu_ray_burner_internal-_-27-118-050-_-Product
    2 6970 2gb 774$ shipped- http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Radeon6970-Graphics-R6970-Lightning/dp/B004XQVCB8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1306734823&sr=8-5 -gives very similar perfomance for 200$ less (just an option since everyone is listing 580 sli)
    cpu cooler 87$- http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Heatpipe-Bearing-Cooler-NH-D14/dp/B002VKVZ1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1306734263&sr=1-1
    also these 6970's are quieter than 580's and cooler
    to keep the case cool&quiet go with these fans 9$- http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0026ZPFDE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1306733925&sr=1-4&condition=new
    with those fans the loudest thing in your case will probably be those 2 gpu's
    total shipped- flat 3000$ haha
  12. sorry its ~350$ i typed it in wrong
  13. a pair of 6950's delivers good performance at the $500 GPU price point, vice $1000 for a pair of GTX580s....(yes, a pair of GTX580s is faster, but, it's hard to call 60 fps 'slow' even when compared to 85 fps...
  14. Overwhelming said:
    Good information, that sounds good to me. Any particular 4 GB card (Ripjaw's were previously mentioned) / Z68 mobo (ASRock Z68 Extreme4 was previously mentioned) you would recommend?


    Asrock Extreme line of boards is great, as for Z68 over P67, both chipsets are generaly same except 2 features:
    - Z68 allows you to use integrated VGA which in your case i thing wont be used at all, it allows fast video encoding, but again you get better quality at slover speed using just your CPU for encoding.
    - SSD caching - worthless feature as it only slightly increase performance of conventional HDD, but is way too slow when using SSD as system disk.
    Problem with Z68 is that there is only few boards in market and most are currently sold out due its recent release.

    SB cpus are dualchanel so you have choice to use 1,2 or 4 modules (4/8/16GB) 12GB was available on old i7 platform but at current prices 4x4GB modules are cheap.
  15. brpeden82 said:
    This build includes Three 3GB GTX 580 240GB SSD 2TB HDD and I7 2600k


    Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139001

    Western Digital Caviar Black WDBAAZ0020HNC-NRSN 2TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136830

    3 EVGA 03G-P3-1584-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3072MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130655

    CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139014

    G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460

    ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION LGA 1155 Intel P67 / NVIDIA NF200 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131714

    Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

    SONY Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 8X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner BWU-500S
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118049

    OCZ Vertex 3 V3LT-25SAT3-240G.oem 2.5" 240GB SATA III - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227730

    Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185142&Tpk=scmg

    Total
    3,870.01


    I think this would be the best way to go.
  16. woow a budget of 4k , and i thought i was spending alot on my RIG , the build posted by brpeden82 seems pretty decent , i would go with something like that
  17. Does anybody have thoughts on a discrete sound card? I was thinking of the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional. I will also buy the Logitech Z-5500 Digital Surround Sound Speaker System.

    Can you really tell the difference in sound card?
  18. I would avoid logitech or any other PC speakers if you want good sound.
    If you are ok with getting good quality stereo speakers, get some decent monitors and AV receiver. It wont cost too much more, and will give you 100% better sound and music. And if you chose to use receiver, you can also drop discrete sound card as onboard digitally connected to AV receiver get you same sound quality as if using discrete. (good soundcard is important for accurate D/A conversion and quality amplifying but in this case it will use even better circuitry in receiver.)
  19. You do realize that the i5 2400K is just as good at gaming as the i7 right? There's honestly no difference (unless you're a serious 3d/photo professional). Also you do realize that the Sandy Bridge chipset does Dolby audio, so you may not even need a sound card. I'm guessing that this PC is more about bragging rights tho, so screw it just make sure you get a good A/C for your room because your system will probably heat the room up by a few degrees (my old system did)
  20. buheshma said:
    You do realize that the i5 2400K is just as good at gaming as the i7 right? There's honestly no difference (unless you're a serious 3d/photo professional). Also you do realize that the Sandy Bridge chipset does Dolby audio, so you may not even need a sound card. I'm guessing that this PC is more about bragging rights tho, so screw it just make sure you get a good A/C for your room because your system will probably heat the room up by a few degrees (my old system did)

    He mentioned also photo processing, coding, not just gaming so he maybe will use all 8 threads 2600K can do.

    As for intel HD audio, it depends, if you connect it to external audio processor and amplifier its fine, if you want use it just with quality headphones or speaker, then its not that great because of poor/cheap end circuitry.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product