HD 5850 Problems

Simba1

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Well guys, here I am again.

After a long struggle with trying to figure out my GPU problems, I sent it in, and they sent me a replacement.

Card worked great for 2 days, then it just started doing the exact same thing as last time (going to a solid colored screen and crashing my system forcing me to force restart it).

Is it the card they sent me again? Is this one really broken too? Should I contact them, or is something lying dormant in my system f***ing up my life?

Please help, I am out of ideas and devastated.

Thank you.

Simba1

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Hey guys,

Yeah I have new drivers and all.

I have an Ultra 750W PSU
Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4ghz
8gb corsair ddr3 1600mhz RAM
Biostar TA890FXE Mobo
WD HD
Diamond HD 5850 1024MB GDDR5

ANd yeah they probably sent me a refurbished one. FMLLLLLLLLL

and it happens with any game. :(

never heard of an ultra psu, sounds suspect to me even though the wattage is supposedly 750w, if its of low quality or aging that could be the cause of your problems, can your try your gpu on another system, or try another psu on your system, with the gpu? It has got to be one of the two so if you can do some elimination then that will help you decide which part you need to replace/upgrade

get rid of the ultra pos psu (no pun intended) then and spend the 50 bucks or so to get a psu from a reliable named manufacturer such as antec, seasonic, or corsair, it is well worth it if you value your components, and this thread has been screaming psu issue to me from the start, it is highly unlikley that the gpu is faulty, at least the odds are against that being the problem imo, try a new psu, should remedy the problem

Simba1

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Hey guys,

Here's an update -

Played games all last night for hours on max settings (combination of WoW and L4d2) and NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER.

I've determined that the problem is sporadic.

Do you guys really think its my PSU? This one was the number one seller on TigerDirect and hasn't given me any problems yet, and from what I can see nobody else either.

And would it cause the problem to be so random like that??

Thanks!