worthytee

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
I have read on the net somewhere that one can connect HDMI PC to DVI monitor but not the reverse ie:-DVI PC to HDMI monitor, with or without adapters, can anyone tell me if this is true and if so why is this so.........worthytee

worthytee

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Since I have installed a new graphics card (Geforce 8400 GS) to replace a DVI only Graphics card, I have both VGA and HDMI connections at both ends. I have tried two PCs and a laptop to no avail. I am now beginning to suspect that my monitor (Hannespree HF237 with both HDMI and VGA connections) may be at fault. I might add that it works perfectly on VGA but when I swich to HDMI my screen goes black for two seconds and then switches automatically to VGA.

worthytee

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
I have tried unplugging all VGA cons and my monitor is running with a 60hz refresh rate, I cannot see any way of increasing or decreasing this rate as it is the only one showing. Yes the monitor is LCD

worthytee

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Yes I have checked the source on the monitor ans as I have said previously when I switch on it automatically switches back to VGA

jithint

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Hmm then maybe something's wrong with your monitor. AFAIK the monitor shouldn't switch the source automatically. Try using another HDMI cable.

worthytee

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
I think you are right regarding the monitor and yes I have tried another cable.
As my monitor is still under warranty I have contacted Hannespree and it is now in hand hopefully to be replaced, thank you for trying to help

worthytee

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
My original graphics card (Nvidia GTX260) had only DVI outlets which I could adapt to VGI but could not get a signal DVI to HDMI. So I changed my graphics card to a (Geforce 8400GS) hoping I could get an HDMI signal, but still no joy even after trying another PC and a laptop, Hence my suspicions that the monitor
(Hannespree HF237) is faulty It works perfectly using VGA but not HDMI.
With respect to DVI to HDMI please read the article in http://compreviews.about.com/od/video/a/HDMI.htm /Backwards compatible

worthytee

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Thank you very much for that piece of information. However my monitor is now away for checking and possibly repair under warranty. When it returns I will check it out by replacing my DVI only graphics card and use an adapter to get a HDMI signal, if it is successful I will let you know....Thanks again.... Tom W

worthytee

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
To All who replied to my thread regarding no HDMI input to my monitor. Thank you very much for your suggestions but I sent my monitor away for investigation and possibly repair under warranty and received a reply today tp the effect that an input board was faulty, has been replaced and will be returned forthwith.
Thanks to Dadiggle, Jithint, and uniquename, for your help.