How to set up a lan?

BlackStuff

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Hey all!

I'm kinda new here, so whats up everybody. I have a question about setting up lan between my two home comps. I have a dsl modem, firewall and switch. Both comps are plugged in to the switch. I just dont know how to make them to communicate. I know pretty much about comps (Both of my comps I have build myself), just not much about software, and lan. Also my second question: Both of my comps support 1gb lan & my switch only supports 10/100mbps, so should i get a hub/switch which supports 1 gb lan. Will it have any impact on the speed. I'm looking to play Battlefield Vietnam on lan on those comps & transfer data between them. If you need more info about my set up ask please! Please help the n00b!! :-D

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If you do tons of large file transfers often it might be worth it to look into gigabit but other than that it really isn't worth the cost. Gigabit will have no impact on your games at all. So little info is transmitted back and forth it would probably run just as good on gigabit as it would on 10 megabit.

If what you refer to as a firewall/switch is a home router type unit and both of your computers have internet (showing they have an ip and are comunicating on the network properly) they should both see eachother with out having to do anything furthur. You should be able to see the other computer in my network places. Then to share files just make a shared folder on each one. Go to the shares by clicking on the computer in my network places. To share a folder just right click on it, hit sharing and security, share this folder, and ok.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

BlackStuff

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
I dont have internet at home now. I moved a week ago and didnt call sbc yet. So I cant really try anything i guess. Now i have to wait for damn sbc to come...

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I was just saying that if they have internet it is a good indication that your network is working properly :) Having internet is not required for your network to work. If you have both computers hooked upto your home router right now they will more than likely see eachother allowing you to share files, play games, etc.
You just won't be able to play online or websurf, lol.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
I personaly use a switch for my lan. Hub/routers are a little more involved about asigning ip addresses and stuff. There is no need for all that with a switch. Make sure both network cards are installed properly with drivers. I don't know what operating system you use but if it is win xp it's a snap. Just run the network setup wizard and it will configure everything itself. You should then be able to see each other in my network places. If you are using win 98 then it is much more involved because you must go into the network properties and install all the correct protocals and then configure them correctly.I can tell you how it's done but it is rather lengthy so I'll wait until you say you need it.

rigit

BlackStuff

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
I got my comps to see each others shared documents folders, so file transfer isue is solved, it was so easy omfg! Thanks for your help guys! I'm all set now :-D