bryany

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
Hello,
I have an old toshiba laptop-1705 satellite-the cat 5 port is set to run as a 1394port instead of a 10/100 port. How can I connect it to a 10/100 hub or a pc with win 2k os?

G

If I understand you correctly the 1394 port (which I always thought was Firewire) is being used as a network port.

If there is no regular ethernet port you'll have to buy a USB or PCMCIA network adapter. A driver for Win2k may prove a problem so check the wording on the packaging carefully.

bryany

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
If I understand you correctly the 1394 port (which I always thought was Firewire) is being used as a network port.

If there is no regular ethernet port you'll have to buy a USB or PCMCIA network adapter. A driver for Win2k may prove a problem so check the wording on the packaging carefully.

The ethernet port that is the 1394 speed is on my laptop(a toshiba 1705 satellite) with XP Home OS. I cannot get my lynksys 5 port hub (model # EPAHO5W V.2 to connect it to my Dell Dimension XPS D266 tower to get online with it. I was using a Netzero modem that had a usb port on it which was the only way to get the laptop online. I have tried a cat 5 crossover cable to connect the two computers but they cannot see each other so I could use the dell's network sharing to get the laptop online.

Do you think if I connect the laptop to the netzero modem then connect the modem to the hub could get the laptop online?

bryany

bryany

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
The ethernet port that is the 1394 speed is on my laptop(a toshiba 1705 satellite) with XP Home OS. I cannot get my lynksys 5 port hub (model # EPAHO5W V.2 to connect it to my Dell Dimension XPS D266 tower to get online with it. I was using a Netzero modem that had a usb port on it which was the only way to get the laptop online. I have tried a cat 5 crossover cable to connect the two computers but they cannot see each other so I could use the dell's network sharing to get the laptop online.

Do you think if I connect the laptop to the netzero modem then connect the modem to the hub could get the laptop online?

bryany

G

"Do you think if I connect the laptop to the netzero modem then connect the modem to the hub could get the laptop online?"

If the Netzero is a USB-only DSL modem you probably need to replace it with a router -- which will connect to computers via ethernet (or in most cases now, wireless).

You may still need to add an ethernet port (PCMCIA or USB version) to the old Toshiba (if I understood you correctly).

When trying to connect two computers via ethernet (Cat 5) you have to disable the firewall on each before starting.