Upgrading from a GTX 295

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 20, 2011 2:26:36 AM

I have been having problems with games and sometimes youtube videos crashing with my GTX 295 and giving me this error:

Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 266.58 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Installing earlier drivers got me the same error (except with the appropriate version number of course).The suggestions NVIDIA gave me didn't help at all so a friend of mine put in his machine to see if it was the card. He broke the card so I need a new one.

Because of the error and NVIDIA not being able to give me a solution that works, I'm leaning towards an ATI card but I'm willing to buy an NVIDIA card as long as I wouldn't get the error. I'd like to be able to play games at the highest settings for a while so I'd be looking for a pretty close to top-of-the-line card. I don't really have a maximum budget since I typically use a card for years so I'd probably get my money's worth (I probably wouldn't be upgrading even with the annoying crashes if my card still worked). The rest of my specs are:

Asus Rampage II Extreme motherboard
Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz
Kingston DDR3 KVR1333D3N9K3/6G RAM
Enermax Galaxy EGX850EWL 850W power supply

More about : upgrading gtx 295

March 22, 2011 10:01:48 PM

I'm kind of leery of getting another another nvidia card due to the error I was getting. When searching the net about the error I found people who cotinued to get the error even after getting a new card, but those are all over a year ago so I don't know if it's been fixed or not. They also all seem to have Windows 7 64-bit (as do I) so it might be some problem with nvidia cards and 64-bit systems. I'm also not sure I want to get as card as noisy as I've read the HD6990 is.

If I get 2 HD6970s would my 850W power supply be good enough?
March 23, 2011 2:36:00 AM

probrably
Related resources
March 23, 2011 8:14:45 PM

Thanks. I wouldn't be upgrading at all if my GTX 295 still worked.
March 24, 2011 3:45:59 PM

Quote:
If the card is busted then your seeking a replacement right?

Gtx 580

If I no longer got the error I was having before my friend busted my card, then just replacing it with a newer geforce card would be what I would do, but from what I have read of other people with the same error; the error continues even with a different geforce card. Nvidia tech support acted like they have never heard of the error before, so I'm not sure I would want to buy a gtx 580 just in case the original problem continues.
!