EVGA GTX 260 artifacts

matt23495

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Hi everyone, i have recently overclocked my evga gtx 260 (its the vanilla model) and since i'm abit of a noob at overclocking, well you get the picture.

Anyway my clocks are 700 core/1470 shader/1250 memory. The artifacts only appear in grid when i rip up the handbrake at high speeds and its only on the bottom of the screen. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I have tested the clocks in 3dmark06, evga's O.C scanner, atitool and they find nothing.

The temps of my card never exceed 75 degrees Celsius while in grid / crysis @ 70% fan speed. I have played many stress full games but it seems that grid is the only one.

Now for my question, should i adjust my clocks so theres no artifacts in grid or should i just not worry about it because it is fine in other games and could it cause permanent damage to my gpu if i play grid for only 30 mins in about 2 weeks.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Have you increased the voltage at all? If not, it may be that you're pushing the limit of the GPU's stable clocks at stock voltage. If you have, nevermind.

Have you run a stability test with something like Furmark? If so, did it pass? I'm talking like a several-hour stress test here.

In answer to your question, yes, you should reduce your clocks to the highest stable for ALL applications. Just because it's only the one game giving you artifacts doesn't mean there aren't problems elsewhere. Stability is tantamount when OCing; with GPUs, the rule pretty much is if you see artifacts, you've gone too far.

matt23495

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

Hi, I have not adjusted the voltages and I used evgas oc scanner for about 30mins to scan for artifacts and it found nothing. I think I know where my clock goes wrong, I have a strong feeling that it is my shader because when I went to run 3Dmark06 the driver would crash indicating a unstable clock. I then took 30 MHz off my shader so the test could be completed. many people have gotten there core clocks above 700 and not many people couldn't get within 60 MHz of 1500 MHz. So I will start at my shader, I'll try reducing it by 70 MHz (1400 MHz) and run furmark instead of evgas oc scanner and I will run it for abit longer than 30 mins :D and if it's not that I will start at the core and then the memory, but I have a strong feeling it's the shaders. Thanks for the help I'll be sure to post how I go.