Gigabyte GTX 580

mike1122

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
Im most likely getting this card monday but some user reviews say that it starts to fail after a month or so? anybody with the card?

That is the first time I have heard of a problem like that. I'm assuming you read a couple user reviews that got a bad card, which happens, but in no way is it any more common in the Gigabyte GTX 580 than any other card. Fortunately, they all come with warranties to cover defects.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Were you reading the Newegg reviews?

Sigh... Those are so skewed. I won't deny that there are sometimes issues, but for those few dozen DOA complaints on Newegg (or many other sites!), there's hundreds of happy customers who either post those many many positive reviews or don't say anything.

As matto said, I haven't heard anything about the 580 being any less reliable than any other current-gen GPU.

mike1122

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
yeah i understand that some people just have bad luck but it saw more bad than good. Anyways, thanks for the reassurance, i willl be getting the card tomrrow. I also asked some people on youtube who have had the card longer and they say it runs great.

mike1122

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
Card came DOA, in my builds first boot i was in the uefi, changed ram speed to 1600mhz, rebooted fine and then a *** ton of line went all over the screen and it lost signal. the cards fans are running and i cleared CMOS but it wont send out a signal.
Advanced RMA is on the way though

Sweet PSU. When I bought mine, I read at least one review that said it was the best power supply they had ever tested. Good luck with the new card. Hopefully, all this will make the great performance, once you get it running, all the better.

mike1122

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011

Thanks dude, and i was wondering, when i was in the uefi i read that my 2500 with a thermaltake frio was at 40C, but the temp was stuck never went up or down. was it cause of first boot or maybe i put too little thermal paste ( Arctic cooling mx-4 )

also, is it normal that the 6 and 6+2 pin for the gpu is sort of hard to insert? especially the 6+2?

MasterSith

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Let us know hows your 2nd card turns out...

I had a similar issue with an MSI GTX 570. It had pretty obvious artifacts that flashed for around 1-10 frames (under 1 sec) in several games that did not stress the GPU otherwise. I RMAed the GTX 570 and my RAM to newegg because I had a feeling it was ram-related since my system would not post @ the DDR3 1600mhz they were advertised at. They DID post @ an underclocked 1256ish Mhz (forget the actual speed) but it had the rapid but noticable artifact problem.

I think my mobo/Cpu combo did not like the 4gb per stick RAM i had since it underclocked it. After looking at the Qualified Vendor List for my mobo I also noticed that the vast majority of accepted RAM combos were 1gb or 2gb sticks per dimm.

My system:
CPU: Phenom II 1090T - Socket AM3
Mobo: Crosshair IV Formula
RAM:[strike]Patriot Signature 8Gb (2x4Gb) DDR3 1600[/strike] Awaiting RMA refund to re-order
Video Card: [strike]MSI GTX 570/OC[/strike] Awaiting RMA refund to re-order
HDD: Crucial 64Gb SSD C300
PSU: Raidmax RX-730SS (730 Watt)
Case: NZXT Gamma Mid-Tower

mike1122

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
im scared that it could be something to do with the ram, theyre advertised at 1600 but they were at 1333 so i clicked a botton in the bios that put them into 1600 without me having to manually change anything and it rebooted fine and shortly like a couple of seconds when it asked for windows cd that the card failed. Patriot Gamer G2 series http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220556
I cleared CMOS though and nothing changed so im 100% its the gpu, since it did boot showing signal once again after an hour saying windows install is initializing but then the lines went all over and i lost signal.

Lets pray!!!! its going to be here Wendesday.
And good luck on the RMA, make sure to call newegg ( if you bought them there ) if you call youll get an Advanced RMA and you wont pay for shipping. Guy told me to call anytime something came defective, not do it online.

MasterSith

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
If you want to rule out bad memory for sure try http://www.memtest86.com/

Also, make sure the RAM voltage set in the BIOS match what it is rated at (looks like 1.65v). If it is set under 1.65v that could explain why it needs to be underclocked.

mike1122

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
New 580 in. its all good!!! still updating drivers etc. my cpu temps seem to be a little warm at about 20-30%, 40C with a thermal take frio on high and a 2500....

crysis up next!

mike1122

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
its weird when i turn the intake fan a little down the temps drop. its currently at 33-35C.
will try out 270.51 as soon as possible, still getting used to windows since im coming from a mac.

That is weird. The only guess I have is that maybe the intake fan is pushing the hot video card exhaust onto your CPU temperature sensors. Just a guess.

mike1122

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
games would constantly give me the black screen, audio playing bug but i found a fix for that on most driver versions. just cause 2 doesnt crash at all anymore
havent got 270 yet because my 267 is fine

what to do is that i guess on our gtx 580s 1.0V isnt enough and unstable, moved it up to 1.05V and everything runs perfectly