Gate GT4022 Power issue

kenmha

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
I have a computer that's acting very bizarre! In fact, its so odd, I have not experienced anything like this in all of the years I've been dealing with PC's. It's a Gateway GT4022 (AMD 64 4000+). It boots up just fine, but during any OS installation the computer shut itself off. I used memtest86 and SeaTools to test the RAM and HDD; they both passed with flying colors. I thought maybe it was a heat issue, so I applied a new layer of AS5 to no avail. Would a bad cpu causes a pc to power down during installation? I also swapped out the PSU and it did the same thing.

Windows 7 Installation: After the "Windows is loading file bar disappear, starting Windows is shown briefly; then powers off.

Windows XP Installation: Setup is copying files usually gets to 70-75% then powers off.

Ubuntu Installtion: Does not shut off, but the screen goes all black. Even with a PCI-E video card.

kenmha

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
I visually inspected all of the capacitors and they look fine. The computer works find during memtest (using both UBCD and HBCD). Is it possible that a BIOS virus is prohibiting the installation of an OS? I checked Gateway website and there's not one single BIOS update.